Do you agree with Nintendo's Creators Program?

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
IT233UO.png
There's been a lot of criticism towards Nintendo's Creators Program but honestly it is their content and they own it so there's nothing wrong demanding to get a cut on those who use their products for their videos.​
After all, we as customers own a license to play video games rather than actually owning them so that's something that no one can change or deny (it says on the T&Cs).​
Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft/Sega/etc made the game and you're playing it so if anyone's entitled to be paid for it are the owners of it but luckily they're allowing you to get paid for it and perhaps even make a living off of it, so they're actually being quite reasonable.​
Link to the Nintendo's Creators Program: https://r.ncp.nintendo.net/guide/
Here's a video if you'd rather just watch it:​

I entirely agree with Inside Gaming & PewDiePie, too.​

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I support the program 100% BUT I DO NOT AGREE WITH IT!
Why you may ask? Like it or not Nintendo has 100% right to police their videos on YT.
It's just what other companies in music and video do. Either way I do think its OK that they do it although I'm not fond of it either

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me, I just don't get the sense in it.

You have a company that makes billions of dollars annually, versus a couple of sweaty grown men making a tiny bit of money off of uploading some videos for people's entertainment.

I get they have a right to their content, but what the hell is the point really? Its free advertisement for their game, and other companies have never had a problem with their games being played in video, and having people make money off of it.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Well the way i see it, is that it doesn't effect the videos that I watch (which are shit anyway).
What those videos that i'm not watching are doing now though, is they are making nintendo money, which means they have more money.
More money means they can spend more on stuff like R&D.
Overall this is a pretty good thing, fuck the lets players.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You have a company that makes billions of dollars annually, versus a couple of sweaty grown men making a tiny bit of money off of uploading some videos for people's entertainment.

I get they have a right to their content, but what the hell is the point really? Its free advertisement for their game, and other companies have never had a problem with their games being played in video, and having people make money off of it.
I think what there issue is that since someone gets money by using some of thier then they should be entitled to some of said money.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
No....no and...uhm No.

While I've never done a Nintnedo Lets Play (a few DS reviews a couple years back) this is only going to screw the little ones

most youtubers that are famous which have VERY HIGH watch audience (over a million or more) don't need Nintendo to maintain their channel. They just won't cover their games and tell them to eat shit

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Things are getting tough so they're looking to get money from anywhere possible

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On one hand I agree, on the other I don't.

First I don't think all these guys who make a living off LPs and stuff are going to be bursting in tears because they're not getting money. Yeah, there's struggling LPers, but the ones who do REALLY well (like PewDiePie) are filthy rich. His net worth is in the millions at the moment and literally all he needs is a decent computer, a mic, and some capture and editing equipment. It's not like he has a huge production value on his videos either but he's making tons of money for something that isn't really work.

It's like if I took Lord of the Rings, edited together some of the scenes, and put it Youtube, should I get paid for it? I mean I edited it but the whole work of the film was done by someone else. I'm just kinda riding their coattails at this point.

On the other hand, I think it's just poor business. I'm not going to watch someone play Super Mario Galaxy and find no need to play it myself. Games are interactive, you want to interact with them. It's free advertising and trying to take a cut out of it is discouraging this. I mean I've seen some indie devs give a demo of their game to a LPer for some free press. Like I loathe Game Grumps but Shovel Knight was given to them for free press. How many people own now Amnesia: The Dark Descent because of all the LP videos on Youtube?

Plus the companies already make profit from the games, especially Nintendo when it comes to some stupidly high-selling franchises (like most Mario games). They don't exactly need the extra revenue.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely not. It punishes people for making Nintendo-based content, plain and simple. Either you get warns even if you're complying with fair use or you lose a significant chunk of your ad revenue and have to tailor your content around Nintendo.

The end result is that practically no one is going to feature Nintendo products. We're not just talking about Let's Plays here (even though that's still generally protected). The Co-Optional Podcast got one of their 2 hour long videos taken down because they played the trailer for one of the new Pokemon games in the background as they discussed how much they were playing it. Angry Joe has recently received DMCA takedowns and warnings for his reviews. Now both of them have moved away from Nintendo for fear of jeopardizing their livelihoods. Whatever you think about their content (I'm not a fan of Angry Joe and I don't sit through every one of the podcasts or anything like that), these programs and others reach an audience of millions, and Nintendo is actively denying themselves free promotion.

I could at least get it if other companies had similar programs, but as far as I can tell, not one other big publisher has anything like what Nintendo is trying to pull. They just don't seem to understand or trust the internet, and it's hurting them, especially as Youtubers and other "e-celebs" amass more and more pull and traditional gaming publications wither out.

Nintendo, not liking the game everyone is playing, wants to take the ball and go home, but it doesn't seem to realize that there's still hundreds of other balls lying around and everyone's going to keep playing with or without them.

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
and i'm sure that only specific videos that praise Nintendo products will be accepted.

and it's only specific games....any game not in that list will be treated as if no program exists.

Imagine if Minecraft or league of lulz pulled this shit. its popularity wouldn't be a a TENTH of what it is today

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo is just hurting itself and proving once again just how out of touch it is with todays society.
Honestly i'm starting to imagine a boardroom of a couple dozen 80-90 year old men waving their canes around talking about the kids and their internets. They don't have a fucking clue what they're doing anymore.

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is just hurting itself and proving once again just how out of touch it is with todays society.
Honestly i'm starting to imagine a boardroom of a couple dozen 80-90 year old men waving their canes around talking about the kids and their internets. They don't have a fucking clue what they're doing anymore.

I heard online that they have an ancient board of mainly old people and the others don't get to decide. So the stereotypical Asian chairman on the other side of the table waiting to be impressed isn't too far off.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
and i'm sure that only specific videos that praise Nintendo products will be accepted.

and it's only specific games....any game not in that list will be treated as if no program exists.

Imagine if Minecraft or league of lulz pulled this shit. its popularity wouldn't be a a TENTH of what it is today
Nintendo's been around for 125 years and they're literally swimming in money so they don't have to worry about it really, and besides, Minecraft didn't have the popularity as Nintendo has had for many years.

It_Prints_Money.jpg

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo's been around for 125 years and they're literally swimming in money so they don't have to worry about it really, and besides, Minecraft didn't have the popularity as Nintendo has had for many years.

*snip*

Nintendo also had a draconian hold on 3rd party developers in the 80's for many many years, stating that if a developer made a game for the NES they were banned from making it for any other console for 3-5 years. It's why Atari's 7800 and TurboGraphix failed. Developers were not allowed to go with the little guys if they wanted to work with the big N. Not in a timely fashion anyway

Like this?? I'm sure this is how Nintendo's Boardroom decisions are made xD
FvOGU8.gif

But sir! the Internet! it's a new way of advertising for free!

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Nintendo also had a draconian hold on 3rd party developers in the 80's stating that if a developer made a game for the NES they were banned from making it for any other console for 3-5 years. It's why Atari's 7800 and TurboGraphix failed. Developers were not allowed to go with the little guys if they wanted to work with the big N. Not in a timely fashion anyway

I'm sure this is what Nintendo's boardroom looks like XD

aKcqSD.gif

Well, Atari fucked itself with those awful console revisions and the PC Engine? Not many owned it because it cost $400 and the Nintendo consoles were cheaper so obviously the customers went for the more affordable price.

So yeah anyway, a boardroom with Nintendo members discussing a game about mechs? Oh, I'm totally in for that! Guess it's why Project Guard and Project Giant Robot are a thing. I've been wanting a proper mech game for years and haven't had it so perhaps Project Guard/Robot will be it for me.

Bandai Namco's also going to release a Godzilla game for PS3/PS4 and thankfully it's Godzilla 100% unlike that boredom movie from 2014.

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, Atari fucked itself with those awful console revisions and the PC Engine? Not many owned it because it cost $400 and the Nintendo consoles were cheaper so obviously the customers went for the more affordable price.

So yeah anyway, a boardroom with Nintendo members discussing a game about mechs? Oh, I'm totally in for that! Guess it's why Project Guard and Project Giant Robot are a thing. I've been wanting a proper mech game for years and haven't had it so perhaps Project Guard/Robot will be it for me.

Bandai Namco's also going to release a Godzilla game for PS3/PS4 and thankfully it's Godzilla 100% unlike that boredom movie from 2014.

ignore the robots xD i'm stating the fact that the others have little to no input and are just there to fill the seats agree with the only one in charge who is the only one who has any say

and I agree....the other's were more expensive especially dat CD Addon xD

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is an awful lot more lenient than the law typically defaults to so there is that, though I do note they made no effort to mention the notions of reviews/criticism, satire and the like (though given the legendary grey market advice).

On the other hand I can not see this as anything other than cutting off their nose to spite their face.

I now have to wonder if this is more grasping at straws than just not understanding the times.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I think what there issue is that since someone gets money by using some of thier then they should be entitled to some of said money.

This is an interesting discussion because you mentioned music videos in your previous post and I agree 100% that artists/labels should control such content. However, a music video is just that: a music video. In the case of a Let's Play video there's copyrighted material from Nintendo, the gameplay footage, but also the interaction from the player often accompanied with commentary, which is original content. Nintendo certainly can't control how someone plays their games, but they can control if that gameplay is shown, which is discriminating towards players who upload their videos online. In addition, if there's commentary, that's original content that the player can copyright if necessary, which Nintendo can't control.

It's really not a clear cut issue, but I understand the views from either sides of the pond. I just think Nintendo is hurting themselves more than they are helping with the draconian actions they're taking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think...