Do the D4 drives read retail GC discs?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by AndyLines, Jul 16, 2012.

Jul 16, 2012
  1. AndyLines
    OP

Newcomer AndyLines Newbie

The drive on my Wii recently died, so I purchased a replacement from a seller on eBay and it's a D4. I know that the D4s can't read GC backups, but I can't seem to find information anywhere about whether or not they can play the retail GC games. Does anyone here know? Thanks.

2. wiismodrome

Member wiismodrome flubber

Seychelles
    It should if it was made before mid 2011.

3. AndyLines
    OP

Newcomer AndyLines Newbie

Do you mean the drive or the Wii? My Wii was purchased in February of '07. I know that the new Wii's just spit the GC discs back out, but I was curious as to whether or not that logic is on the drive's daughterboard or on the Wii's mainboard.

4. daxtsu

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
    It's all based on the drive, as far as I know.

5. wiismodrome

Member wiismodrome flubber

Seychelles
    The relevant logic should be on the drive controller. A while ago I saw some pictures of a new D4 controller board (from a no-GC Wii) which was missing a chip. And yes, I meant if the drive was made before mid 2011, although I do not know exactly when Nintendo started production of Wii drives that do not read GC discs. The first Wiis which had such drives came out in the fall of 2011.