Hacking Do Korean Wii use a different console key

Dack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I got a PM today about wiiscrubber and it not reading Korean discs correctly - in that they would have the correct structure but would seem to contain no data.

The screenshot I got showed that the 'correct' key.bin had been read as well as the partition tables. Now both of these are not encrypted but the actual fst.bin etc. are. The breakout of main.dol and the rest was not even being carried out.

One reason I could think of this happening was if the common key used in the Korean consoles was different to the one used in all the other consoles - this would mean that Korean discs could not then be played on other regions consoles and vice versa. As the games have already been released for other regions then I imagine very few people would have bothered looking at the data for the release and seeing if there were differences.

Has anyone got a Korean game dump and tried reading it into Trucha,wiibrowser or wiitools? (To see if the key is correct etc.)

daegunlee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dack said:
Has anyone got a Korean game dump and tried reading it into Trucha,wiibrowser or wiitools? (To see if the key is correct etc.)
I've tested some Korean ISOs with Trucha signer and wiitools, and all failed to decode.
I also think that the Common Key of Kor Wii is changed, but there is a rumor that US game worked on a modded Korean wii.
If a modded Korean wii can run game with other country code, it means the common key is still same.
(Or Kor Wii may have two keys - old one and new unkown one.)

gamidi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
Should be pretty easy to dump with a tweezer attack if wiibrew and co got a korean wii. They even released an app to dump the wii ram in gamecube mode with a tweezer attack.

Dack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for trying that.

Another test would be loading the ISO into the latest imageburn (as that shows the game title).

Just been looking at the source code and am hoping it's actually a simply fix and the common key is the same.

Most code for reading the discs would seem to be based on the wiifuse source - this has a check to see that the first 6 characters of decoded data are printable. This includes country code. If the Korean code is not a printable character under standard ascii then it it would fail the test.

Soon as I get an image to test I can see if this is the case.

Dack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just checked an ISO, have to say the common key *has* changed in that none of the encrypted data would decode. Disc was RSPK01.

If a USA game has worked on a chipped Korean Wii then I imagine the region code is checked and a decision then made on what decode key to use - would seem an odd thing for Nintendo to include though.

daegunlee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
gamidi said:
Should be pretty easy to dump with a tweezer attack if wiibrew and co got a korean wii. They even released an app to dump the wii ram in gamecube mode with a tweezer attack.
Not easy. Nintendo removed gc compatibility entirely from Korean Wii.
Tweezer attack used gc mode program to extract the common key.

QUOTE(Dack @ Jun 16 2008, 03:18 AM) Just checked an ISO, have to say the common key *has* changed in that none of the encrypted data would decode. Disc was RSPK01.

If a USA game has worked on a chipped Korean Wii then I imagine the region code is checked and a decision then made on what decode key to use - would seem an odd thing for Nintendo to include though.
Bad news for aes key.
Thanks for confirmation, anyway.
rolleyes.gif

Two AES keys don't make any sense to me, too.
I'll report again when the rumor is confirmed.

Dack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Dack said:
Just checked an ISO, have to say the common key *has* changed in that none of the encrypted data would decode. Disc was RSPK01.

Bad news for aes key.
Thanks for confirmation, anyway.
rolleyes.gif

Two AES keys don't make any sense to me, too.
I'll report again when the rumor is confirmed.

Just got a pm about someone who has had a Korean Wii chipped. After chipping it could play quite a few J region games in English (though Zelda was not one of them - meaning no homebrew channel).

Been wondering about the two key idea - I really can't see any justification for Nintendo including it unless Korean Wii's are designed to play originals from both the Korean and Japanese regions, where they would then require that functionality. Do they do that as standard?

More investigation required I think.

gamidi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
I completely forgot about gc functionality, so its a tweezer attack is not a viable option. Has anyone tried the homebrew channel install disk after changing the region to korea?

detourne_me

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
necro posting... but i'd like to know more.
HBC does work on Korean Wii
but, not many other channels are supported with a chipped wii.
I can't use any wiiware or VC wads,
I get have region free gaming from discs but thats about it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: