Do I still need a 64gb SD card?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Lokote2134, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Lokote2134
    OP

Lokote2134 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2016
    United States
    I'm going to get homebrew and install a CFW on my cousins black 32gb wii u I was wondering if I still need to get a 64 gb SD card or can we now use a smaller memory?

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Your SD card only needs to be as big as the biggest game you want to install to your USB drive or internal storage. So, 32GB should suffice for the biggest games, and some games require much less.

3. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    32GB SD card minimum. No Wii U games are bigger than that (as far as I'm aware)

SD card is only needed for installation while the games are installed to either a USB device or Wii U's NAND.

4. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Getting a 64 GB SD is only to setup RedNAND which is basically brick protection, which is not needed whatsoever. Under normal usage of Wii u hacks, one cannot brick. It's only ever caused by incompetency, in fact I haven't heard brick stories in a long time. (No, CBHC does not cause "bricks" for those who are reading this)

You're completely fine with a smaller SD card. I agree with everyone above, 32 GB is a great suggestion.

Last edited by MattKimura, Apr 4, 2017
  5. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Very few games require more than 16GB, so you can get by with a 16GB SD card (or less, depending on the games you're installing) if you don't care about games like NBA 2K13, Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition, LEGO City: Undercover, etc.
    If you're buying a new SD card because you don't already have one lying around, you should probably invest in a 32GB SD card. There's no reason to get one bigger than that.

6. Lokote2134
    OP

Feb 4, 2016
    United States
    What I'm planning to do is i stall mochacfw with rednand on my cousins wii u I don't want to do cold boot because last I hard is very risky and can brick your wii u so I remeber back when I installed rednand I needed a 64gb SD card so I still need it then right?

7. Net-KILLER

Net-KILLER computer says no

Oct 22, 2009
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    in a pineapple under the sea
    Well if you follow the guide carefully cold boot isn't risky.
    But it's ok you don't need it.
    Compared to haxchi it's just few seconds less.. who cares :D

8. Temptress Cerise

Temptress Cerise Miss Magic~ <3

May 1, 2016
    United States
    What you going to do when their RedNAND bricks out of the blue? Since, RedNAND tends to brick quite easily.

I did Haxchi only for my friend. Showed him how to use Wii U USB Helper and how to install them. And he's loving his WiiU.
    Only reason I didn't do CBHC on that system was, because I don't trust him or his wife not to try to delete or format anything, since they are really bad at technology.

9. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    There's no real reason for redNAND anymore. Contrary to popular belief, in practice, it's not any safer.

10. Lokote2134
    OP

Feb 4, 2016
    United States
    So ok let's chamge this topic then your saying cold boot is safer now and alot safer then rednand? Currently I'm going to my sysnand and lunching haxchi with mochacfw to launch into rednand so I can play all my wii u games that are install on my portable hard drive. If I install cold boot it will replace my rednand right? Will it save the format of my icons on the system menu once I have cold boot install? And will i have to reinstall all of my games? I have alot of games install over 20

Last edited by Lokote2134, Apr 5, 2017
  11. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    No Xenoblade Chronicles X ):

12. Lokote2134
    OP

Feb 4, 2016
    United States
    So if I don't install rednand but I install cold boot do i still need a 64gb SD card or no?

13. LordOrwell

LordOrwell Member

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2017
    United States
    two notes of interest: If you do emulation, the roms will go on the sd card. I filled a 16gb one up completely with snes roms. The other note of interest is that i purchased a 64gb micro sd card and adapter and managed to break it pulling it out of the adapter on the 3rd transfer of files. Get a real sd card. They are more durable. And don't be cheap on the computer adapter. My class 10 card is operating at usb 1.1 speeds thanks to the fact my adapter is ancient.

14. Mark McDonut

Mark McDonut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 8, 2008
    United States
    depending on what you do with it you could make use of up to 128gb, i have my favorite wii and gamecube games for vwii mode on my 128gb sd card as well as tons of roms for retroarch, so matter of preference really.

if you're only going for modded wiiu mode though 32 should do fine though as others have said.