Do I really need a smartphone for basic online play?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by orcid, Feb 25, 2017.

1. orcid
    OP

orcid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Australia
    There was so much rage about the smartphone app. So I got the impression that you can't play online without the app and I wanted to replace my Windows phone. Now I read on the austrian nintendo webpage something like: "Play online with your switch and use your phone for connecting with friends and communication." This sounds like basic online play is possible without smartphone. Can I play online without the app? I am not interested to play with friends and (voice) chat at all. Just random games against strangers.

Last edited by orcid, Feb 25, 2017
    EvilMakiPR likes this.
  2. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Wait for the official release or reviews. Since it's a lot of confusions about it at the moment.

orcid likes this.
  3. EvilMakiPR

EvilMakiPR GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    Wondering the same. Nintendo is a lil behind in all Online so I wont be surprised if thats how it will work

orcid likes this.
  4. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Yes u can play online without the phone apl.
    The app is used for voice chat and matchmaking via friends and facebook.

Atlest thats how it was explain.
    I highly doubt the app will be needed to jump into an online game

orcid likes this.
  5. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    The way I view this, "Call your friends while you play video games." If it actually turns out like that, congrats to Nintendo for the best meme of 2017.

6. orcid
    OP

orcid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Australia
    OK. I hope you are right and won't buy a new phone. The switch launch is expensive enough.
    There is really a lot of confusion. Nintendo is not saying anything clear and in the internet there was no normal disussion about the app possible because so many people went crazy. I don't know why they can explain the parental control app in a (great) video, but can't make a video about the online play app.

7. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Probably because it isn't finished yet.

8. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Yeah you can do random online matchmaking without the app or a smartphone. There will be online play games available on release day and the app isn't out until summer. Fast RMX and I think you can do an online match for the other player in Snipperclips, too.

orcid likes this.