Hardware Do I owe this guy a refund?

PaperBro64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You hid (on purpose or not) information that was very important for the WiiU to keep working, so then... yes, you owe him a refund.
I mean, it's pretty common knowledge that you generally shouldn't turn off something while it's saving, thats like me buying a laptop and turning it off while its downloading windows updates, so I don't think that's my fault.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think there are safeguards to prevent this sort of thing from happening. afaik, the ticket is downloaded first to the slc, then the game, which is placed in the "import" folder for download and installation. at some point, probably near the beginning, the game is indexed just in case it does become corrupted. then, you can delete/uninstall the game without affecting anything else. once everything is done, the game is placed in the correct location. downloads should still work in standby mode. if he turned the system off completely, I think the download freezes. however, it shouldn't affect the slc (system software) partition.

btw, I think nintendo officially stated that they will no longer take in wii u systems for repair, so that's not even an option.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

btw, I think the indexer has bin in the name. I'm thinking it's called version.bin, which records game installs.

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yo guys, so I sold my wii u to a guy a few days ago, it was hacked with mocha, when he got home, he tried to download mario kart 8 and as it was downloading it got stuck at 19%, said estimated time 99 hours. he left it alone for 4 hours but it didnt change, then he decided to just flat out turn it off, held the power button for 10 secs (i didn't tell him anything about doing this, he did it at his own accord) and now the wii u cant turn on, it freezes midway through the wii u logo, but now he's asking for a refund and that it was apparently my fault for giving him a wii u with a faulty nand chip, for reference my wii u was the mario kart 8 bundle, which came out in may of 2014 (which I told him, but he didn't bother doing any research into the faulty nand chip that these early models are sometimes cursed with) so what do you think, do I owe him a refund for this?

Yes you owe him a refund but he needs to return the item and you have to make sure is the same seria id that you sold...

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. Even if it was just bad timing, it's still a huge dick move.

If I bought a Wii U with a corrupted NAND and it died the first time I used it, I'd be assuming you sold me a broken console on purpose.

Last edited by lisreal2401,
Reactions: Ryccardo

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe you said it somewhere, but have you received the system back? when I sold that flashed 360, I tested the console first after getting it back. everything worked as it should. this could be little more than buyer's remorse, which I think is what happened to me. I refunded his money anyway. though, you're in a worse predicament, because now you have a potentially broken system.

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah I did that, he said he'll try and see if the price of the repair is too much. (as far as I know, nintendo repairs dead nand chips for free if that even is the issue at hand) but he says that if he doesn't like the price he'll return it forcefully, so yeah lol.

But it was working before. You'll be given a broken system if he returns it. Unless you knew it was broken/malfunctioning beforehand, I don't think you should pay the penalty here.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I mean, it's pretty common knowledge that you generally shouldn't turn off something while it's saving, thats like me buying a laptop and turning it off while its downloading windows updates, so I don't think that's my fault.

Hold on, sorry, I misread/misunderstood your OP comment...

You sold a fully working console, the buyer turned it off while it was doing R/W operations and it got damaged because of that. Not your fault.
The buyer doesn't deserve a refund. Period.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Is turning the console off while writing a game to nand really going to brick it? Is installing anything to band a bad idea?

The nand is perfect size for Mario kart and botw with dlc.

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Just playing Devil's advocate here but have any of you even thought that he might be trying to return a faulty console that he already had??

There are people out there who would do this. Buy a working console and then claim it's broken and return the faulty one you already had.

OP Did you make a note of the serial number?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo