Hardware Do I owe this guy a refund?

ibroxgaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Intrigued with this post, But sounds like he needed a cfw console for a reason hmmmm (pirating), You are obviously not bound to refund him or you would not be on here asking if you should (Conscience), I would not refund him.

linkchidori

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Intrigued with this post, But sounds like he needed a cfw console for a reason hmmmm (pirating), You are obviously not bound to refund him or you would not be on here asking if you should (Conscience), I would not refund him.
But the seller had Mocha already installed....i dont think thats a reason tbh. I dont think its about his conciousness, but he is just confused about if he should or not refund it.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
....Does he know where you live? :lol: Or more importantly, is he a friend of sorts?
I'm assuming he knew the console was hacked so why was he downloading MK8? Bottom line is NO, you don't owe the guy a refund. End of story. The grey area is surrounding your conscience on the matter, and only you can answer that one... a fair point I think I'm gonna make here was how much did you charge him? I'm not after an answer - it's more a case of did you practically give it away (in which case I'd be telling him tough titties etc) or did you charge that bit extra due to it being hacked?

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thing is did you see him download the game? He could have done something else like deleting the game haxchi is using or tried to patch a game he didn't buy and bricked.. You now know why stores often mention "all sales are final". Not yours to reimburse him.

ibroxgaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
....Does he know where you live? :lol: Or more importantly, is he a friend of sorts?
I'm assuming he knew the console was hacked so why was he downloading MK8? Bottom line is NO, you don't owe the guy a refund. End of story. The grey area is surrounding your conscience on the matter, and only you can answer that one... a fair point I think I'm gonna make here was how much did you charge him? I'm not after an answer - it's more a case of did you practically give it away (in which case I'd be telling him tough titties etc) or did you charge that bit extra due to it being hacked?
I don't know the value off a wii u in the usa but sounds like he about 40 quid off it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thing is did you see him download the game? He could have done something else like deleting the game haxchi is using or tried to patch a game he didn't buy and bricked.. You now know why stores often mention "all sales are final". Not yours to reimburse him.
My money is on he tried to cold boot haxchi bricked it, I have pressed that power button so many times for 10 seconds (God damn you @retroarch).

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On first thought I would say no. You have no control over what happens when it leaves your hands and it was working when he took it home. You can't 100% trust that his explanation is even truthful. People will say whatever it takes to get a refund even when it was completely their fault.

However, if it can actually be proven somehow that it was due to a faulty NAND then I would say yes, you owe him a refund. He should cooperate with you in determining this, though. If he leaves it all on you to find out, without currently even having access to the system, forget it.

Reactions: Ryccardo

PaperBro64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, he posted on a craigslist-esque site that he wanted a hacked wii U for 100-120, so i obviously went for the high end, i had some trouble selling my wii U for higher prices and i had honestly given up, I just wanted some extra cash towards a switch.

He does, he came to my house to test it, however I know his address as well.

ibroxgaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So is the dead nand a thing? Could somebody point me in the direction for that story, I did however have a wii u where the power brick had a dodgy connection to the wii u.

PaperBro64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't refund it. It was working fine, tell him to ask nintendo for repair.
yeah I did that, he said he'll try and see if the price of the repair is too much. (as far as I know, nintendo repairs dead nand chips for free if that even is the issue at hand) but he says that if he doesn't like the price he'll return it forcefully, so yeah lol.

Reactions: Fugelmir

ibroxgaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, he posted on a craigslist-esque site that he wanted a hacked wii U for 100-120, so i obviously went for the high end, i had some trouble selling my wii U for higher prices and i had honestly given up, I just wanted some extra cash towards a switch.

He does, he came to my house to test it, however I know his address as well.
Nothing to worry about sold as seen over and out.

PaperBro64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

ibroxgaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country