DMG doesn't like AC/DC power!

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by Retinal_FAILURE, May 6, 2017.

1. Retinal_FAILURE
    OP

Retinal_FAILURE GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    I have two DMG gameboys, one works fine on AC power, the other seems to receive it and it overides the system. What I mean is that if a game is inserted and the unit is switched on it won't display the game at all, blank screen, on ac/dc power, but the red power light is lit. though it works fine on batteries w/o any problem. Any suggestions on how to go about fixing it?

2. SonicMC

SonicMC GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2007
    United States
    Retinal_FAILURE likes this.
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Are you actually putting AC power into it or are you just saying you are trying a wall supply? If you are putting actual AC in then might want to stop that.

Also if fixing it is going to be a problem you have the second option of adapt the battery compartment to take whatever voltage is necessary. It is still a voltage when all is said and done and will spare you having to track down whether it is a short, failure to regulate, a capacitor failed or whatever it might be that is causing the problem.

4. Retinal_FAILURE
    OP

Retinal_FAILURE GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Yeah my mistake it's dc, from the charge pack accessory DMG-03-US/CAN. How do I go about adapting the battery compatment to take whatever voltage is necessary?

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    There can be some subtle variations for laptop and tool batteries (and other high power uses) but generally speaking the batteries are put together in series to make the required voltage, in this case 4 AA batteries at 1.5V each are put in series to make 6V and the case says 0.7W so 0.1167A current draw. AA batteries actually drop in Voltage as they run out and a USB supply should provide 500mA at 5V so you might even be able to get away with a USB lead if you wanted, I would have to look into that though.

Anyway you find where the negative goes into the board, you find where the positive goes into the board, connect the relevant parts of the DC lead into that and you have your power adapter
    Video somewhat related

Retinal_FAILURE likes this.
  6. Todderbert

Todderbert Korg Fanboy

GBAtemp Patron
    Todderbert is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 30, 2009
    United States
    Illinois
    The power jack may be faulty. There is a cutoff switch inside, so when you hook it up it will bypass the installed batteries. I had this problem, but it worked when the batteries were removed.