DLNA Streaming? NAS Drive/Twonky?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by tnt118, May 30, 2009.

May 30, 2009
  1. tnt118
    OP

Newcomer tnt118 Member

United States
    Hey all... there are no recent posts that touch on the subject, so I thought a new one wouldn't be inappropriate.

I have a NAS drive (WD ShareSpace 4TB) coming that's going to be a central server for all my media files. It'll stream everything to all the connected computers just fine, but what I was wondering if there are any homebrew media players for the Wii that could also stream from it. It has Twonky Media Server built in, which uses I believe DLNA for streaming. I think the PS3 and XBox360 can do DLNA, but that's built in from the manufacturer(?), and not a function of homebrew. Just curious if anyone has suggestions or past experience with this.

Or if it wasn't possible before... maybe now with BootMii released, is that something that developers could look into?

On a sidenote, I currently use GeeXbox, but my finance finds the interface a little tricky to use. Is there any secondary player I might want to look into that would have a slightly more traditional menu/control scheme?

EDIT: I almost completely forgot, any suggestions on emulators that can load from a networked drive instead of the SD card?

2. Phylos

Newcomer Phylos Advanced Member

United States
    Have you considered MPlayerCE? it can handle streaming files through a network if the NAS supports SAMBA sharing. I can't remember which thread, but if you do a search on GBAtemp, you will find a thread with a tutorial to assist you with setting up the SAMBA sharing for MPlayerCE.

As for the emulators, I think the GX line of emulators can load via network. I beleive I had seen a vid showing SXES9XGX loading ROMS this way.

-=Phylos=-

3. Skeeve

Newcomer Skeeve Advanced Member

Germany
    I'd also love to see an DLNA capable Wii client. I already have a DLNA server running for my iPod Touch so having a client for the Wii would require no additional Server installation.