DLC not working with cia

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by lemanuel, Dec 12, 2014.

  1. lemanuel
    OP

    lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

    Member
    2,095
    1,093
    Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    Hi.

    Any idea why a DLC from a game wouldn't work with the game in cia format while it works in 3ds format?

    Thanks
     
  2. Gamemaster1379

    Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    588
    82
    May 5, 2008
    United States
    United States
    Region incompatability?
     
  3. lemanuel
    OP

    lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

    Member
    2,095
    1,093
    Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    The DLC is region U and I'm using a rom from the same region, so I doubt that.
     
  4. lemanuel
    OP

    lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

    Member
    2,095
    1,093
    Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    The game in cia format is made using the same rom I tried the DLC on. And the DLC works using the rom (.3ds). So I don't see why it wouldn't work with the game in cia format. I asked around but so far no one has been able to think of a reason.
     
  5. lemanuel
    OP

    lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

    Member
    2,095
    1,093
    Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    no ideas?
     
  6. Gamemaster1379

    Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    588
    82
    May 5, 2008
    United States
    United States
    Have you downloaded any DLC for that game at any point in the past? If so, there's some sort of ticket or entry you have to delete in SaveDataFiler.

    In that respect, your CIA will have to include whatever you deleted. You cannot use the CIA to add to existing DLC, but only to override it. There are CIAs that can include all patches, but that CIA would have to be dumped with all of the patches at once.
     
  7. lemanuel
    OP

    lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

    Member
    2,095
    1,093
    Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    No. it's the first DLC I install for that game and I made sure to check everything with Savedatafiler anyway.
    More than that, it works with the rom but not with the cia, both being the same game, same ID, same everything pretty much.
    That's why it's strange
     
  8. Gamemaster1379

    Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    588
    82
    May 5, 2008
    United States
    United States
    The only thing I can guess is converting it to CIA changes it somehow (perhaps different md5, header is modified, it "trims" it) or similar, and therefore makes it not compatible with DLC from the other copy of the same game. I'm honestly not sure.
     
  9. lemanuel
    OP

    lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

    Member
    2,095
    1,093
    Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    alright. Thanks anyway
     
  10. lemanuel
    OP

    lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

    Member
    2,095
    1,093
    Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    just an update to the situation. it seems region free cia games aren't compatible with DLC.
    however DLC work fine with cia games that aren't modified to be region free
     
    awtgrduzwt5r9, Phantom_User and tjexp like this.
  11. piratesephiroth

    piratesephiroth I wish I could read

    Member
    3,001
    1,616
    Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    It's probably becuase the CIA has a wrong unique ID
     
  12. lemanuel
    OP

    lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

    Member
    2,095
    1,093
    Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    it doesn't
     
  13. piratesephiroth

    piratesephiroth I wish I could read

    Member
    3,001
    1,616
    Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    If the DLC doesn't work then there's definitely something wrong with the CIA conversion.
     
  14. lemanuel
    OP

    lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

    Member
    2,095
    1,093
    Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    according to what I've read in another forum (that ends in ISO), it happens on several games and it seems it's not only with me. more people complain about the same. according to what was said on that forum by someone else, the original region of the game needs to match the console's region for the DLC to work when you play the game as cia. which I find weird since I have FE:A (U) as a cia with the DLC and it works for me. My 3DS is EUR btw.
    so I still don't know exactly what might cause some games to be affected and others not.
     
    MrJason005 likes this.
  15. Trice

    Trice Member

    Newcomer
    41
    4
    Jan 20, 2009
    Swaziland
    That's what fixed my Theatrhythm Final Fantasy DLC, so thanks for the hint. :)

    I created a cia based on my Japanese retail copy of the game without removing the region lock and downloaded the DLC I bought on my Japanese 3DS through FunkyCIA (with the fixed make_cdn_cia as the one included always crashed because of the content index overflow). The DLC wasn't recognized by the region patched cia I used before, but after I created the new region locked version everything worked perfectly. The system I installed this on is a European 3DS XL, so the console region doesn't seem to have an impact (at least in this case, I'll try out this solution with my other paid DLC as well).
     
    cearp likes this.