Disk Drives Gone?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by kid sampson, Jul 5, 2009.

Jul 5, 2009

Disk Drives Gone? by kid sampson at 7:36 PM (503 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. kid sampson
    OP

Member kid sampson GBAtemp Regular

United States
    After installing and immediately uninstalling Daemon Tools Lite V4, I'm having an issue with my disk drives. Although My Computer shows two CD drives on D: and E:, neither will respond. I've tried unplugging and uninstalling the drives and rebooting. Windows detects the drives and installs the drivers for them. They then reappear in Device Manager. But when I open a program like CloneCD, it says no CD-Rom detected. And although the drives have power to them and will eject the tray from the front button, neither will read a disk.

Also, if I click on My Computer and go to Manage, nothing appears in the disk management tab, so I can't really assign them volumes to correspond with the D: and E; that already appears in My Computer.

Again, both are listed under CD/DVD-ROM DRIVES in Device Manager, and have the following drivers installed: cdrom.sys, imapi.sys, redbook.sys, and storprop.dll. One is at location 1(1), and the other is at location 0(0) --- if that's helpful. The info under the Volumes tab is blank. If I click populate, it returns: Disk, Type unknown, Status unreadable, Partition Style not applicable, Capacity, Unallocated, and Reserved Space are all 0 MB.

I've looked through forums and found that Daemon installs something called stpd. No idea if this is causing the issue, but I do know it's not uninstalled with the program. I would appreciate it if someone with more technical knowledge than myself could help me restore these drives to proper working conditions.

Many, many thanks and much gratitude!

*EDIT: After a bit of work, I now have my drives back. One appears twice, as both drives D: and E: the other appears as Drive F:
    Both will read an inserted CD and DVD, but my writer is still not detected by my burning programs. Both ImgBurn and CloneCD claim no writer is detected, which is obviously not the case, as I can read from the drives. Can anyone help with this?

2. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    Try a system restore to a time before you installed Daemon Tools Lite.

3. kid sampson
    OP

Member kid sampson GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks, Lee79, but I solved my problem by using RootRepeal and wiping a sys file that was invisible. Everything is now restored!