Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Hi

Great app => Couple of questions

1) TW Loader did an automatic update (worked). For the TWLNAND side.cia it only wrote "downloading" => Is this also automatically installed or do I have to install this manually?
2) I can now see the TW Loader version in the menu => great. It would be perfect if you would also show the nds-bootstrap version in settings.
3) It now writes "updating bootstrap" on every app launch. Is this just the check for a new version or is there something wrong that the app things there is a new version on every launch?
I'd recommend disabling automatic updates and updating everything manually for the time being. Development of this entire project is incredibly volatile in its current state, and the automatic updaters don't necessarily account for this.

umbjolt

Wild jolteon
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi

Great app => Couple of questions

1) TW Loader did an automatic update (worked). For the TWLNAND side.cia it only wrote "downloading" => Is this also automatically installed or do I have to install this manually?
2) I can now see the TW Loader version in the menu => great. It would be perfect if you would also show the nds-bootstrap version in settings.
3) It now writes "updating bootstrap" on every app launch. Is this just the check for a new version or is there something wrong that the app things there is a new version on every launch?

1) TWLNand side is installed too ;)
2) I think it can be a great idea. I'm just wondering how to retrieve bootstrap version to show up in settings.
3) Check if you have bootstrap auto update option enable in settings

bakawun

Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
@Robz8

When i launch my flashcard using your galaxy eagle pack there is something wrong with ysmenu reading ysmenu.ini
None of the button labels seem to be working, can you look into this and try to find out what is wrong?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

2) I think it can be a great idea. I'm just wondering how to retrieve bootstrap version to show up in settings.
\
the same way you check for an update to twloader itself

https://github.com/Robz8/TWLoader/blob/master/gui/source/download.cpp#L179

Last edited by bakawun,

umbjolt

Wild jolteon
Trophies
XP
Country
the same way you check for an update to twloader itself

When I mean I was thinking a way, I mean a different way hahah
I'll look into it bth :P

Grab version string from Git, echo it to the main configuration file, print on screen, ????, profit.

That can be great and automatic but if Robz8 delay to upload new bootstrap file, TWLoader will show a version that is not installed at all.

For all the people that want this, ok, you win, I'll add bootstrap version to TWLoader ;)

Oh, just an addition to changelog of new version. Now boxarts that ARE SD Card won't autodownload if they exist!

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
That can be great and automatic but if Robz8 delay to upload new bootstrap file, TWLoader will show a version that is not installed at all.
Could always implement a way to force TWLoader to download the latest official release upon first, initial run, and then set a flag that disables this after a successful download. I dunno if that would be unnecessary added overhead or not, though.

umbjolt

Wild jolteon
Trophies
XP
Country
Could always implement a way to force TWLoader to download the latest official release upon first, initial run, and then set a flag that disables this after a successful download. I dunno if that would be unnecessary added overhead or not, though.

I was thinking in download at run a version file with official/unoffical versions and save it on SD card and when user press X/Y to download bootstrap re-download if version change etc

https://github.com/Hamcha/lumaupdate/blob/v1.4.2/source/autoupdate.cpp#L62

You can update from a fork if you don't want to deal with the original repo.

You gave me a great idea but for me is easier to download a version file from dropbox atm :P

umbjolt

Wild jolteon
Trophies
XP
Country
then you habe to use the manual version file on dropbox

I don't know how long this will take me, but when if done, I'll upload a screenshot to know if people like this :)

Just don't use Dropbox for production. They like to 403 files once their bandwidth cap has been reached.

Oh, didn't know that...
Time to move to a github fork only for downloads?

bakawun

Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
I don't know how long this will take me, but when if done, I'll upload a screenshot to know if people like this :)

Oh, didn't know that...
Time to move to a github fork only for downloads?
You can copy the existing code to point to a new file.

Using github is best

bakawun

Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
if you are changing the update code please go ahead an allow both unstable and stable nds_bootstrap to exist at the same time, and select the one you want to use from the settings menu.

Much easier and less time consuming to switch versions than have to download and overwrite each time, also wastes precious sd card lifetime.

I was going to do that but we'll have to wait to @Robz8 create that repo. Meanwhile, I'll use dropbox to test
it doesnt matter who of you guys makes the repo fork, its probly best if you guys create and organization for twloader instead of relying on individual person's repositories

Reactions: ahezard

umbjolt

Wild jolteon
Trophies
XP
Country
if you are changing the update code please go ahead an allow both unstable and stable nds_bootstrap to exist at the same time, and select the one you want to use from the settings menu.

Much easier and less time consuming to switch versions than have to download and overwrite each time, also wastes precious sd card lifetime.

it doesnt matter who of you guys makes the repo fork, its probly best if you guys create and organization for twloader instead of relying on individual person's repositories

Again, you convince me. I'll create it. (EDIT: done) And create also the existing of both bootstrap files. Just need someone to answer. How do you want to change bootstrap? A button? An option in TWLoader, etc?

Last edited by umbjolt,

bakawun

Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
Again, you convince me. I'll create it. And create also the existing of both bootstrap files. Just need someone to answer. How do you want to change bootstrap? A button? An option in TWLoader, etc?
add an option the exact same way as we switch between 66hz and 133h modes

Additionally a button at launch is very very usefull for testing/debugging

bakawun

Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
Ok. Give me some time to manage all and start doing it :)
keep in mind the unstable and stable nds-bootstrap need their own settings file.
you pretty much have 2 options

either you create a 2nd ini file for the unstable
OR
you create unstable keys inside the main ini file and parse those for unstable

Then 1st seems easier the 2nd has less code duplication
(that said now is probably not yet the right time to work on optimizing performance of twloader itself)

Last edited by bakawun,

mike4001

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
3) Check if you have bootstrap auto update option enable in settings

It´s enabled.

My "problem" :) is just that is says it´s updating it every time. If it´s just checking it should write "Now checking for new bootstrap version" and not every time "Now updating Bootstrap (Release)".

umbjolt

Wild jolteon
Trophies
XP
Country
keep in mind the unstable and stable nds-bootstrap need their own settings file.
you pretty much have 2 options

either you create a 2nd ini file for the unstable
OR
you create unstable keys inside the main ini file and parse those for unstable

Then 1st seems easier the 2nd has less code duplication
(that said now is probably not yet the right time to work on optimizing performance of twloader itself)

In my opinion I prefer to have two nds-boostrap.ini files. In case something happen with that file, you can change to the other version and continue using bootstrap without problem. Messing up setting file with unstable options is something I dislike tbh

Edit: for now, bootstrap release/unofficial will use the same .ini file because I haven't found the way to modify the path because is hardcoded and it's a bit tricky so, it doesn't really mind if both are separate .ini's files or not

It´s enabled.

My "problem" :) is just that is says it´s updating it every time. If it´s just checking it should write "Now checking for new bootstrap version" and not every time "Now updating Bootstrap (Release)".

That is the way is working right now, but I'm adding a "checker" to avoid that :)

Last edited by umbjolt,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3