Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.smashboards.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

I ordered a fresh DMS-GC2 drive to replace my original drive that had a failing motor. Switched it out, popped it in. The games load fine at the wii channel screen, but when you try to enter the game, disc read error messages pop up. The disc spins, and it sounds like the laser clicks back and forth several times trying to get a good read, but eventually gives up. I have cleaned the laser lens, but it hasn't helped.

It is not currently modded, although I had a failed attempt at it before putting it in. As best I can tell, there are no solder bridges and everything is in a functional condition.

Is there any step I may have skipped, or common problem that would cause it to act this way? I want to make sure all of the possibilities are checked and out of the way before I go through the hassle of returning the new drive.

My other option is to switch out the drive boards from my original drive with that of the new one. If the circuitry on one is bad, and the motor is bad on the other, combining the working parts should make a fit drive again. This would be quite a hassle, though, and I would still like to make sure all other possibilities are looked at first.

SpikeyBryan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure the ribbon cable, connecting the drive to the wii, is plugged in all the way, or try unplugging it and plugging it in again

SpikeyBryan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You never know
lecture.gif

lol

Omnigamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.smashboards.com
XP
Country
United States
Some new symptoms to report...

- The wii can read gamecube discs fine. Tried a variety of them, and they all appear to work fine and for extended periods of time.

-Different Wii games get to different parts of the loading process. Red Steel loaded all the way to the main in-game menu, before idling for a few seconds and giving a disc read error. Zelda and Geometry Wars do not even load on the Wii channel menu, and go immediately to the above described "clicking" of the laser, followed by a disc read error. Brawl shows up on the Wii channel menu, but trying to load the game brings up its disc read error.

So now I'm back to being confused. I'm going to try cleaning the lens again, but I can't really think of anything else that would halve the functionality of the system. Any ideas, please let me know.

Omnigamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.smashboards.com
XP
Country
United States
Final update:

-I switched out the circuitry between my two drives, such that they shoud form a "whole drive" and leave the other respectively bad parts elsewhere. First attempt, everything appeared to work, but the Wii games could still not be read, and gave the errors. Second attempt, and the Wii no longer spins the discs at all. I'm going to look through one more time to check my soldering and the cables, but I'm fairly well fed up with all of this attempted repair work. I may have to try to order a new drive again.

As always, any information to help would be much appreciated.

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Some questions before I offer advice:
- How do you know the original drive had a 'failing motor'? How was it performing when you replaced it?
- Was the failed modification done on the original drive or the new drive?
- Was the new drive guaranteed working when you purchased it?
- How are you removing/reattaching the ribbon cable?
- How are you testing the drives? Do you keep the Wii unassembled and the drive oriented so the discs are label side up?

Omnigamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.smashboards.com
XP
Country
United States
1. "Failing motor" was simply my conclusion from lack of other replies in a separate thread. Simply, the discs started to either not spin or spin very slowly. It otherwise worked perfectly for many months in that configuration without problems.

2. It was a quicksolder mod that was originally on the first drive. I removed it and attempted reattaching it to the new drive, but its board broke and some of the solderpoints became unusable.

3. "Guaranteed working" as much as a brand new drive can be. Other than factory testing, I don't think it was specifically tested for working, but it was advertised as brand new and not refurbished. It was my error to not try it out by itself right away before trying to apply the mod, but what's done is done.

4. Carefully? Not sure how to answer that. I take great care not to break or stress it, and all of the cables should still be in fine condition.

5. I keep the wii disassembled and returned to regular orientation for testing. Everything is plugged in except for the front panel, which as I understand is unnecessary. Discs are label side up, and everything is as it should be, sans some screws and the top panel.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
see if you can get your hands on another wii and try both drives on that - it could be a problem with the board itself after the mod chip failed install - id confirm the drives are the issue before you go any further.

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Omnigamer said:
4. Carefully? Not sure how to answer that. I take great care not to break or stress it, and all of the cables should still be in fine condition.

I ask because there have been many reports of people that didn't know the ribbon connector needs to be flipped open first. They simply pull out the ribbon cable and then force it back in which of course leads to faulty connections.

I assumed you were testing original Wii discs this whole time. Did the first drive start to fail with originals or backups?

Are you saying you broke the modchip pcb or the new drive pcb with the failed install?

I would cut my losses and get an experienced modder to repair the damages instead of buying/installing another drive.

If your Wii is near your computer you may also want to consider a FLATMII.

Omnigamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.smashboards.com
XP
Country
United States
I definitely used the release mechanism on all available connections when removing/reinserting the ribbon cables, so no worries there.

First drive failed while playing an original Brawl disc, no prior warning. Just gave a disc read error, and then subsequent attempts wouldn't get it spinning. After that point, didn't matter if it was a backup or original, not spinning is practically the same as not having anything in there.

The modchip quicksolder PCB broke. It would take some significant effort to break the full drive PCB.

I'll look into FLATMII, could be a possibility.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: