Disc Drive not working

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Drak0rex, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Drak0rex
    OP

Drak0rex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    I bought a white Wii U from walmart, hooked it up, went through the setup, and left it update while I went out. Now, when I turn it on, it powers on like it's gonna boot up normally, then the signal cuts out for a second and a screen comes up saying there is a disc drive error. I took it apart and checked the connection and it seemed fine. I put a game in and it took it in. When I power it on without a disc, it sounds like it's trying to eject something anyway. Is there anything I can try to fix it?

2. aiat_gamer

aiat_gamer GBAtemp Fan

May 1, 2008
    Iran

Why would you want to fix it, just take it back!

3. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    you TOOK IT APART?
    why would you do that to a brand new WiiU?
    now you have voided your warranty... you could have just brought it back and have it repaired/replaced o.O

4. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Do your best to make whatever seal they use look good. Just take it back to Wally World and hope for the best. If it doesn't work try a different location. If you have a 24 hour Wally World, try going in late at night or really early in the morning. Be nice and constantly chat the rep up, you might distract them.

5. Drak0rex
    OP

Drak0rex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    Shoulda mentioned I was trying to swap the motherboard of the new wii u with a broken one I got for cheap on ebay. So there's that...:glare:

6. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Wow. So what, you are trying to swap parts then return it back to Walmart?

Setting that aside, Wii U disc drive is locked to the motherboard itself. If you swap motherboard you must also at minimum swap the logic board of the disc drive itself.