Disc drive failure after overheat

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Petrucci, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Petrucci
    OP

Petrucci Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    A few years ago, when I was playing through Brawl, my Wii overheated and shut down automatically. Afterwards, it stopped reading discs entirely. Now, I've been wanting to get it working again, and I'm at a loss as to what I can do.

2. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Before anything, probably a good idea to fix whatever caused the overheat so it doesn't happen again. Then replace the disc drive. Google turns up lots of pages about that, even some here. If that seems too complicated, you can always buy another Wii to replace it (or a Wii U) but those still aren't generally cheap.. Good luck whatever you do.

3. Stephano

Stephano I love you Charlie

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Engineering Prison
    You can always get it replaced or try to fix it yourself. However, this can be cumbersome and will cost you some money. If you have the time and energy, i would suggest just using USB loader gx. You will be able to play your games on a usb flash drive.
    If you want to play gamecube games, download Nintendont for your wii and play them that way. :grog:

4. Petrucci
    OP

Petrucci Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    Thanks. I'll try to see if I can get a replacement disc drive, although Nintendont may provide what I need.