disc channel: wii system update

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Centimetro, Oct 4, 2008.

Oct 4, 2008
  1. Centimetro
    OP

Member Centimetro GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i just got a mod chip, and was testing out some backups. they all loaded fine, except mario super strikers charged, where the disc channel just shows a "System Update" icon.

i have an ntsc wii. as far as i know, im already on version 3.3, the latest version. anyone know whats going on?

thank you

2. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    What region is Mario Strikers from? If it's NTSC, carry on and do the update. Some games have small updates specific to the game. These are usually nothing to worry about.

3. Screemer

Member Screemer GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    i had the same problem. i updated from 3.1u to 3.3u via webupdate, but a couple of games didn´t want to load and tried to install a system update. i was absolutely shure that those disc are ntsc. so i took the risk and updated with lego-indy. after a very very short update process everything was like it was before, except of the point that all the discs where working fine which demanded a system update before. it seems to me that the webupdade procedure left out some ios versions, so those had to be installed through the disk. it's very important that the disc you use for the update is the same region as your wii is. if not you'll have the first brick for your new home.

after a short while i downgraded to 3.2u an had the same issues again, but i startet a webupdate with a very bad wifi signal and the connection got lost after 1/4th of the update process. after that all the disc are working again and i still have 3.2u.

ps.: yes i do have a ntsc/u wii even though i am from europe.

4. FGOD

Member FGOD Wii gaming bitch

Netherlands
    make sure you have a backup from the same region as your wii, else it will resolve into a bricked wii...

5. Centimetro
    OP

United States
    tanks guys,

i went ahead and got the update and no problems as you said.

the iso is labeled as NTSC, however the game on the title screen is called mario super strikers charged "FOOTBALL"... does that mean its the european version? i would have expected it to say SOCCER if its the american version, so just curious.

either way, it caused no problems.

FGOD: thanks, i didnt know that... better do some more research

6. Richy Freeway

United Kingdom
    Make sure you can get into your Wii settings, if you can then you've gone passed the stage of bricking and have nothing to worry about.

7. Centimetro
    OP

United States
    yeah, i went into wii options immediately to see what version i was on, and it worked fine. also from doing searching around it appears that YAOSM (which my mod chip is programmed with) can do multi region anyway, so i guess im cool

thanks again

8. Richy Freeway

United Kingdom
    The fact your chip can do multiregion is exactly WHY you can be bricked. If it didn't then you wouldn't be able to run discs from other regions and thus you couldn't brick with a wrong update.

Just stick to getting NTSC US discs and if you do ever get one from another region, run the ISO through brickblocker first.

9. nash79

Member nash79 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    These are some small updates that dont nécessary brick ur system, but do install other versions of the weather channel and news channel. Run double channel remover and see, high chances u have double channel installed.
    Personnaly I never been prompted about the update unless it's a major update from my region or playing an out of the region disk

10. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Do Not Assume that a disk channel update is for the news or weather channel. Never ever for any reason update your Wii with an out of region disk. If the game prompts for an update break that copy in half and use Brickblocker to patch the game, this will override the prompt to update from the disk. Only ever install updates for your region.

11. SanGor

Member SanGor Witchhunter

United States
    or just install StarFalls skip disc-updates patch [​IMG]

12. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Thats the best response I've heard all day [​IMG] Cheers!

13. nash79

Member nash79 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I never update my wii using other region disc even after waninkoko's downgrader.
    The thing is, now that you assumed that Im a noob, here's are enough options u have in order to keep at bay from all these update things:
    - Starfall as it has been said earlier.
    - Brickblocker
    - Gecko OS
    - Menuloader 0.5
    So just pick whatever you wish and enjoy urself