Disabling Phsyx

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by GeekyGuy, May 21, 2009.

May 21, 2009

Disabling Phsyx by GeekyGuy at 6:12 PM (1,883 Views / 0 Likes) 29 replies

1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I've been trying to play Mirror's Edge for some time now, but every time I start a new game, it locks up like 10 seconds into the introduction. I'm using a Radeon HD 4670, and I have a suspicion that there's a conflict between my card and Physx. Admittedly, I don't know the first thing about Physx, except to say that it's an Nvidia system, which makes me think the two don't want to play nice. I'm not sure if I should disable Physx for the game, if that's even possible, or if I should try a different approach. Either way, my PC locks up and I have to manually shut it down each time.

2. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    ATI GPUs can't use Physx so you need to disable it.

3. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Hmm...okay, well, I checked, and evidently Physx was already turned off. So, I uninstalled, reinstalled, and tried again. Unfortunately, it's locking up in the same place.

Ah well. Thanks anyway.

4. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Is it patched? Apparently, the 1.01 patch fixed an issue with locking up with Physx.

5. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Actually, I'm not sure that's true. I have Bionic-Commando (or whatever it's called) installed on our Vista machine (not this machine, which is why I can't recall the exact name) and it's running Phsyx AND a 4670. The game refused to run without Phsyx, but runs great with it.

As for why your PC isn't running your game.....maybe you need the latest redistributable of Phsyx? Possibly you may need to clean out the fans in your CPU or GPU. Do you have the latest Catalyst driver installed? They are up to the 9.5's. Is your PC up to spec to run the game? Maybe you have one of the graphics settings set a little too high. Maybe there is something like Alcohol 120% or Daemon tools running in the background and the game doesn't like it.

To be honest, it's hard to determine the problem you may be having. Every PC is different. Is it running other games well? It could be a simple thing like the BIOS needs updating or an option within the BIOS is set contrary to what the game wants to see or the chipset drivers need updating, or something as simple as an insufficient power supply. Possibly some spyware is ravaging your system. Believe me, crap like that actually makes more of a difference than some people might think.

I don't have the Mirror's Edge game, so I can't help much beyond what I said. If you CAN turn off Phsyx for the game, try that and see if it works, if it does, that would at least narrow things down as far as troubleshooting.

EDIT: I see you said Phsyx was off......maybe try turning it on.

6. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    No ATI GPUs as of yet has Physx support. Sure, you can run games with Physx enabled with ATI GPUs, but that usually results in a huge performance drop compared to Nvidia GPUs which has support for it.

7. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Hmm...well, running Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead fine, with fairly impressive performance considering my somewhat wimpy CPU. I actually just installed the 4670 about four or five days ago, so there's no dust on the fan. Additionally, I cleaned everything out in there thoroughly with a can of compressed air. I also installed a new Corsair 400 watt PSU to support the card. So, everything's new and clean. I did actually install the new patch before ever running the game.

I wonder...

When I installed it, the game detected my settings and automatically turned Physx off. I wonder what would happen if I manually turned it on. Maybe the game's confused? [​IMG]

Worth a try, I guess.

Be right back! [​IMG]

8. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    on boards that do not support phsyx, its run off the CPU
    performance isnt that great

9. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Ah...so you're saying the game essentially ignores my GPU? Yikes. In that case, yeah, I don't think my system could run it. Still...it locks up in precisely the same area every time I try to start it up. Maybe corruption in the ISO? Other folks who have gotten that particular torrent had success with, though. Weird.

10. kjean

Member kjean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South
    that's because it's base "physic engine/library" for that game like havoc which used in many other games but it doesn't mean ATI can accelerate it and take advantage from it...

11. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    well the phsyx part does, it still relies heavily on the GPU though for everything else

I would reinstall it and test again, it might be just a little corruption while installing it

I will "get" it and test on my 4870 to see if I get the problem
    which release name did you get?

12. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Ugh...maybe I'm not reading the thread thoroughly enough, but did he update the game at all? Again, 1.01 patch note states that it fixes issues with the game crashing when using physx...it's his exact problem.

13. pizzahutmaster

Newcomer pizzahutmaster Advanced Member

United States
    I have an Nvidia 9800M GTS 1GB (which supports physx obviously) and playing Mirror's Edge my computer freezes too. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the game. I haven't personally updated my game to 1.01 but it might fix the problem you have.

14. iffy525

Member iffy525 not famous

United States
    I had the same problem with a Radeon 4870x2 but it was fine after I disabled phsyx, so it should be fine. Try updating and reinstalling like others have said.

15. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    on my 9600 GT the game ran fine without patch with physx enabled aswell

16. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Yeah, man. I initially patched it before even attempting to play it. I then uninstalled it, reinstalled, patched it again, and it locks in the exact same spot. I'm tempted to try an install without the patch. [​IMG]

@ Joe88: The torrent's entitled: Mirrors Edge Reloaded PC

17. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    mine is reloaded as well and I just noticed, that I patched it to 1.01 because my crack was for 1.01...btw it ran fine on a HD 3200 integrated graphic which doesn't support PhysX

18. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Aw man, are us ATI users missing out on much with PhysX? Because looking at the videos, the effects like flapping flags and the like look beautiful, though I suppose playing the game you wouldn't notice so much. And I still need to play Mirror's Edge, summer holidays jobby methinks [​IMG].

19. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    well prerendered videos and actual gameplay differ a bit (like always)
    the trailers and stuff look amazing, but when you are actual in game, its not that impressive...

20. kjean

Member kjean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South