Hacking DIOS MIOS (Lite)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe your HDD has 4096 bytes per sector?
DIOS MIOS works only with HDD build using 512bytes per sector. It's a physical state of the drive, it can't be changed, it's a size decided by the manufacturer.

You could try to launch your game using USBLoaderGX, it has all the HDD checks. It will warn you if your HDD is not correctly setup.

Sinsera

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe your HDD has 4096 bytes per sector?
DIOS MIOS works only with HDD build using 512bytes per sector. It's a physical state of the drive, it can't be changed, it's a size decided by the manufacturer.

You could try to launch your game using USBLoaderGX, it has all the HDD checks. It will warn you if your HDD is not correctly setup.

Usb Loader GX is (was) my fallback loader that i used to always use for my wii games. But when I try to play a gc game with it I dont get any type of "HDD is not correctly setup" message from it. The only message I ever get from USB Loader GX now is something like "No Disc+ setting Requires DIOS MIOS 2.2 update2. This setting will be ignored." But when I check the DIOS MIOS version in the "credits" page or w/e it says I have DIOS MIOS v9+ and my usb loader GX revision is r1213 and I've also tried r1215 and r1216, but they all have the same error....

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
disable the "NoDisc+" in the settings.
Like the message is saying, that option is not used anymore (unless you have v2.2 update2 installed). if you want to remove that warning, don't enable that setting in the global settings.

If USBGX doesn't prompt you about the Sector size, then your drive setup is fine.
Maybe it's your drive which is not compatible with DIOS MIOS's USB driver (mini ehci).

Sinsera

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I no longer get that error about the No Disc+ patch, its a bit weird that its even an option if its no longer used...

Now when I try to launch the game all I get is a blackscreen and my hdd led light turns off. (its in never sleep/power-save mode so it should always be running at full speed)
I was told that most if not all portable seagate hard drives are compatible with DIOS MIOS....

This is my hdd: http://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/product-content/expansion-fam/expansion-portable/_shared/images/highlight-expansion-portable-box-570x570.jpg
looking through the documentation for the hdd it says its a Class B usb 3.0 that is also compatible with usb 2.0.

When i try to run the games with DIOS MIOS Booter i get some kind of apploader error

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
Sinsera if you're using a USB 3.0 cable, use it with a 2.0 adapter that has solved my problem along with 3 of my friends and several other users right here on this thread. I exclusively use Seagate GoFlex drives since they work with DM, Wii, & xNEEK.

Sinsera

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sinsera if you're using a USB 3.0 cable, use it with a 2.0 adapter that has solved my problem along with 3 of my friends and several other users right here on this thread. I exclusively use Seagate GoFlex drives since they work with DM, Wii xNEEK

Ok that adapter might do it. Ill try to pick one up tomorrow. Besides that is there anything else I could do now with what I haveto work with? I'm using a 2gb sandisk sd card btw.

MassiveRican

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I just used the same adapter my drive came with but changed the cable, it also came with my drive. So it's all Seagate oem stuff, I would try to stick with that if possible the GoFlex drives have that i don't know about expansion.

If you're going to use an SD card install DM(L) but first uninstall the DM WAD then install a clean BCv6 first then install DM(L). I know that's a slightly longer process but I err on the road of caution, since doing it this way can prevents issues some users experience.

Sinsera

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well my whole reason for using DM was to use my 1tb hdd for all my games, honestly there are only a few of my old GC games that i wanted to get back into, but seeing as how I cant really switch out my 3.0 usb for a 2.0 one I dont see any way to be able to get them to play. I did some reading and found that a year or so back people were having problems with other usb 3.0 hdds not working well with usb loader gx, dunno if its the same problem. That problem had something to do with the cios but I dont see how that would effect my current setup. Literally everything else works, I can load wii games, apps, etc from my hdd but no GC game will run -____-

MassiveRican

Trophies
XP
Country
Well are u able to use a USB 2.0 cable with the expansion? If u can, that might solve your problem, it was the problem on my end. If not all I can say is install a clean BCv6, reinstall DM and try again. Maybe someone else might have some input.

Sinsera

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I havent seen any trace of a usb 2.0 cable for the seagate expansion series, also I do the whole BCv6 reinstall process everytime i try to use dios mios, maybe i'm using a fault BCv6 wad or something? Can you point me in the direction of a BCv6?

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's gettin close to that time when I need to start thinking about trimmin some fat. My 2TB HDD is almost to capacity and I need to shrink some games down. It's been a while since I read up on the matter. Some random words that pop into my head are discex and GCReEx.Basically I need to know what the best way is to shrink my isos, what exceptions I should make note of, and any side effects I should look out for.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Okay so I no longer get that error about the No Disc+ patch, its a bit weird that its even an option if its no longer used...
It's still an option because users are still using old versions of DIOS MIOS, the one which required that option.
I don't force users to update by removing support of old version, I give the choice in case of better compatibility with older releases.

Reactions: MassiveRican

Sinsera

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's still an option because users are still using old versions of DIOS MIOS, the one which required that option.
I don't force users to update by removing support of old version, I give the choice in case of better compatibility with older releases.

Oh okay, gotcha.

Well, I'm not sure what the problem could be because from what I've seen/heard people are getting DM to work with usb loader GX (and other loaders) just fine for GC games. Also my hdd uses a 3.0 usb but 3.0 usbs are compatible with 2.0 usbs so i dont really see why that would be an issue. I mean, could the problem be with the way I softmodded everything? Maybe I'll re-mod my wii with modmii again....

Update: Okay so I re-modded it and am now going to reinstall dios mios (regular not lite for real nand). Now can somebody walk me through the process to make sure im not doing anything wrong?

HackSponge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i can't run a disk in the drive.. the reader is broke and i can't run any disk.
I used to have a similar issue, using a 500GB Toshiba hard drive, turned out the problem was the hard drive not being detected in Dios Mios despite it working fine with Wii games, I recommend trying DML (SD) instead see if that fixes your problem.

Oh and discs are not required anymore for most games, of my huge collection only two games require having a disc in the drive, one of them only needs it in certain areas while the other needs it from the start, all other work fine (or not work at all but that's a different problem).

i tried two SD with DM lite, but every time that i want to play a gc game, Dios Mios says: "Fatal error app_entry is not within the apploader". i tried everythng but nothing.. :( i set the NoDisc patch, all the dml settings, various loader and two games.. always the same error :(

however, i'm trying to load Pokèmon Colosseum and Pokèmon XD.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
however, i'm trying to load Pokèmon Colosseum and Pokèmon XD.
okay, those games are SUPPOSED to be compatible now but they've been known to be problematic in the past so you might need to try something else, just in case.

turn all the settings off (That's the most compatible way) and don't do any conversion on the ISO file. Just take the original, full sized ISO file, rename it to exactly "game.iso" and put it in a folder (of any name) inside the games folder (which is basically what the "RAW" option in the DMToolbox does)
should look something like this
/games/pokemon/game.iso

that will at least avoid as many errors as possible. (as well as making sure what you're using is formatted right)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/O8G6DCnlLDQ