DIOS MIOS Lite; widescreen hack not working?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by RowanDDR, May 5, 2013.

1. RowanDDR
    OP

RowanDDR SNES Lover

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    The widescreen hack in DML doesn't seem to work, for me. Any ideas guys? I've tried with Mario Sunshine and Pikmin 2. I am loading those games from 8cm DVDR via DIOS MIOS Booter, with the widescreen hack set to YES. I've tried many options, auto,force,etc in the video patch options too - not sure if that is related? The games boot and play just fine, but still appear to be in 4:3 aspect. :(

I am using the latest version of all softwares as of today. My Wii is a USA model with WiiKey and HBC installed. The Wii is connected to my TV with component cables (progressive).

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help advise me.

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Settings and patches work only with backup ISO, not with game disc.

Make a copy of your Game disc to USB or SD card using CleanRip, or any other USBLoaders capable of doing one.
    Maybe it's easier to use an usbloader to make your ISO as it will create it, place it and rename it correctly, ready to play.
    If you use CleanRip homebrew to create the ISO, you will have to move the iso to the correct folder and rename it "game.iso" (not the game name, but the 4 letters "game")

RowanDDR likes this.
  3. RowanDDR
    OP

RowanDDR SNES Lover

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    Thanks Cyan! I thought it might be something like that. I tried it upon your suggestion and its working now. :)

I'm surprised that this information isn't available on DIOS MIOS website or official instructions. Well if it is, I didn't see it. I was also a bit confused by the fact that the DIOS MIOS website says "DIOS MIOS doesn't play backups from writable DVD media" .. when, well, it does.

4. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Mar 4, 2006
    Italy
    Switzerland
    I've got one question for you.
    Now that you tried it both from Disc and Usb, do you see any performance issue ( besides the working widescreen) ?
    I'm asking because my Wii is hard modded with a wiikey, and I can play GC backups flawlessly ( but most of my games are original anyway ) , so I'm looking for some advantages in ripping my favorite games and play them from USB.
    I like the idea of using cheats and forcing widescreen/video mode, and possibly faster / smoother loading time, but if there are any problems related to framerate, timing and audio streaming, then I guess I'll be better off the disc channel.

In short, do GC games perform ( and improve ) just like Wii games when booted from USB ? Or worse ?

5. RowanDDR
    OP

RowanDDR SNES Lover

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    I've not tried GC from USB. Only from SD. No issues that I noticed.Not all games are compatible with every feature however, at time of writing. See compatibility here:
    http://crediar.no-ip.com/gc/

6. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Well, it can plays DVD-R as long as you have a modchip.
    But some other GameCube loaders could even load DVD-R without modchip (GameCube Backup Loader 0.2). That's what the website is talking about, it can't make DVD-R work if your wii can't read it already.

The advantage I found is about the lens.
    my lens is old/dirty, so playing from ISO prevent the Read Error warning message.

I play from ISO for games without audio streaming, and from Disc for others (I have only Starfox using audio streaming, and I completed it recently from retail Disc. It worked fine).
    I also like to have them in a list, instead of swapping discs and looking for my games in my pile of game boxes.

I never noticed any frame rate or lag issues in the game I played.
    I didn't compare loading times.

RowanDDR likes this.