Differences between Clone & Gateway

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by OptimusDark, Feb 26, 2014.

1. OptimusDark
    OP

OptimusDark Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2014
    France
    Hello,

I would like to know if there is any Hardware difference between Gateway and clones ?
    By Hardware I mean PCB/FPGA overall design.

I'm not sure, but I remember seeing a post from someone using the official firmware with a clone or fake Gateway.

Just trying to understand how everything works.
    And with this new urban legend telling that there is not only clones, but also fake gateway, every thing is getting out of control. A witch-hunt is about to begin :D

Thx.

2. masterzero

masterzero GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2007
    if you use gateway launcher.dat file and it detects the red flashcard you have , then you have a gateway , clone or not

Gateway can only detect games with the gateway launcher.dat , same thing for clones.

Afaik it seems clones have different fpga configuration that would make it impossible to self upgrade

3. bkifft

bkifft avowed Cuthwaldian

Jun 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    correct. if there were clones that worked with GW's own launcher.dat those would be (from software) indistinguishable 1:1 clones including the FPGA programming. i believe that's just a red herring they are throwing out in regards to the bricking achieved by gamesquest1.