Hacking Difference between executing a .dol or a forwarder (Question)

cali152

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I'm trying to install the HBC on my Wii U tomorrow but I never had a Wii, so I have a question:

There is a difference between using a forwarder (or full channels) or executing the .dol on the SD card from the HBC? Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you execute the homebrew from the channel, nothing is installed on the NAND and it's just executed directly?

My doubt is because is there are really no benefits from a forwarder other than start the app faster (installing wads can cause a brick?), I would prefer to run it from the HBC , because i would like to mess the less possible with my system (don't want a bricked vWii)

Hope someone can clarify my doubts :lol:

Regards.

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi. I'm trying to install the HBC on my Wii U tomorrow but I never had a Wii, so I have a question:

There is a difference between using a forwarder (or full channels) or executing the .dol on the SD card from the HBC?
Yes. There's even a difference between a forwarder and a full channel. A forwarder looks at the app folder for a specific directory and executes the app. The full channel has the actual app (.dol) in it so you don't even need an SD card. Keep in mind, if you want to update the app you must install the app channel again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you execute the homebrew from the channel, nothing is installed on the NAND and it's just executed directly?
Which channel? Anyway, if you install any channel, it's installed on the NAND. And if you use a forwarder, the app it's calling may need a cIOS, which is installed on the NAND.

My doubt is because is there are really no benefits from a forwarder other than start the app faster (installing wads can cause a brick?), I would prefer to run it from the HBC , because i would like to mess the less possible with my system (don't want a bricked vWii)

Benefits are (forwarder, compared to a full channel):

• Easy to update. Most apps can update wirelessly on the SD card itself.
  • Loads quicker, straight form the menu
  • Takes up less space in your NAND
As long as the channel has been made compatible with vWii, there will be no brick.

jay.d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when you install a wad it is installed to the nand so a fowarder channel and a full channel both install as a wad so both install to nand, only difference is the fowarder channel doesnt have the .dol or app in it it just has a command to load app from direction path sd card or usb device. & so of course forwarders are smaller in size & can only load the app from the external device where as a full channel has the whole app built in & only needs external device to load extra stuff like roms for your emulators or for usb loading.

wads can cause a brick but usually channel wads only a bannerbrick which just means your wad had a badbanner & can cause the system to halway notwork or not at all hard to say on wiiu though. messing with system ios or game ios or system menu wads can brick.

but as long as the wad your using is trusted & properly tought to you how to use its usually ok. i modify channels all the time & the only thing that happens wrong is the channel just goes to black screen & you have to hard reset the system but wont cause a brick just wont load app.
if your really worried about wad channels sure just go with homebrew channel loading nothing wrong with it.

but i enjoy full working channels since i have no problem updating them & prefer not to have sd card in all time since i save all config roms & games from external. i could load the app from usb just choose not to. its always just about how you want it how it works is upto you.

edit
looks like i was a tad too late on explaining whoops

winmaster

Weird Kid Who Still Plays Pokemon
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nintenpc.tripod.com
XP
Country
United States

There is a difference between using a forwarder (or full channels) or executing the .dol on the SD card from the HBC? Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you execute the homebrew from the channel, nothing is installed on the NAND and it's just executed directly?

Hope someone can clarify my doubts :lol:

Regards.

As far as functionality is concerned, there is no difference between installing a channel or simply executing the application from the Homebrew Channel. Personally, I don't see the value in channels/forwarders. Having only the Homebrew Channel installed is much cleaner and uses less Wii memory, which is scarce.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.