Gaming Hardware Difference between eshop wii titles and disc?

Videomanman87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a difference between the eshop Wii titles and the disc versions? Is there a reason to get the eshop version when I already have the disc and can install/back it up to HD?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't realize you were talking about wii, was thinking about wii u, wii vc games require cfw. I tested this out after I uninstalled cbhc a long time ago. error 199-9999 when opening. you don't need cfw for a wii disc though. sorry, I misread.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

Videomanman87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I was just wondering if there was an advantage to the eshop version of the Wii title. I assume it will install directly to external USB (since I would get it from the eshop) and load from there (jumping into vWii automatically I am guessing). What I would do is have a second HD in FAT32, the Wii title installed and load it via Vwii and USBLoaderGX.

Again unless there is some advantage in the eshop version I am not aware of. :) Or a better method than this.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not really aside from speed. though, in the vwii, you can use emunand to store your saves. otherwise, they'll both use the same saves, both will always be using the vwii, so there's not really a difference aside from installation time and perhaps the time saved when booting the game instead of having to boot a loader to do it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some wii games in the eshop can use the gamepad as a controller. I don't know what games support that.
afaik, it only works with injects. I think all wii vc games on the eshop will say that the gamepad is not usable in the virtual wii or something to that effect, just like it would if using the disc or something.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
afaik, it only works with injects. I think all wii vc games on the eshop will say that the gamepad is not usable in the virtual wii or something to that effect, just like it would if using the disc or something.
Nope any Wii game on the WiiU eshop that had classic controller support can be played using the WiiU gamepad as Nintendo patched them to do so. Games like Xenoblade Chronicles for example.

DuduMil

Der Hallomann
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Is there a difference between the eshop Wii titles and the disc versions? Is there a reason to get the eshop version when I already have the disc and can install/back it up to HD?
But do you want my opinion? I think it's better to have the games on disc, you don't notice much difference for the digital version, it will just take up space in your console memory or on the external disk. The only thing that seems to happen is a kind of shitty upscaling that puts bigger edges on the TV.

DuduMil

Der Hallomann
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Okay, I just took these pics (they're shit, but you can tell), The one with the Black and Orange Theme is from my original wii, and the one from the original theme is from the vwii. On the vwii, you notice that the edges are bigger, it's not the end of the world, but still...

Attachments

• IMG_20220501_212703.jpg
    IMG_20220501_212703.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220501_212726.jpg
    IMG_20220501_212726.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 26

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can't really notice a difference, but my eyesight is very poor. it may be like the ps5, where ps4 games are those small, curved icons instead of large, square icons of the ps4 itself. ps5 games are the same size--their icons I mean.

DuduMil

Der Hallomann
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
can't really notice a difference, but my eyesight is very poor. it may be like the ps5, where ps4 games are those small, curved icons instead of large, square icons of the ps4 itself. ps5 games are the same size--their icons I mean.
Yes, it is barely noticeable, and almost nothing changes. On top of these shitty pictures I took, you can barely see a fuck.
I have a friend who bought the ps5, and he thought it would change a lot, but almost nothing has changed, just the loading times, which have gotten significantly shorter.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it is barely noticeable, and almost nothing changes. On top of these shitty pictures I took, you can barely see a fuck.
I have a friend who bought the ps5, and he thought it would change a lot, but almost nothing has changed, just the loading times, which have gotten significantly shorter.
indeed. that's why I always buy ps5 games now, but copying them is a pita. they have to be copied, and it's pointless to move them to an external hdd if they're discs, because it will just try to reinstall them again if you put the disc in before being copied, so I deleted all of my copied ps5 games. pointless if I forget.

DuduMil

Der Hallomann
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I think the PS5 is good for people who have never owned a ps4, but now, for people who bought a ps4, it's a little obsolete to buy that. But of course there are also spoiled kids who want to have a ps5 just to play fortnite and those shit battle royale games.

They don't know what's good...

Videomanman87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah I thought you still had to use the wiimote and plug the classic controller into that. I didn't know Nintendo FINALLY did a patch so the gamepad can be a classic controller. I never could understand why they didn't in the first place lol. Wish they did it on the console itself instead of particular games in the eShop only.

Guess they are worth getting then.

And I would never waste my console memory like that (or burn up the NAND cycles by storing monster downloads to it), but on the HD, that is different. The reason is to save the disc itself and WiiU laser.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...