Gaming Did I screw up?

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
So I got a new laptop on Monday and it came in last night, so I've been working to install the games that I own. Except for one - I bought a copy of GTA IV a while back because I had some spare MS points, and because I wanted to mod it. However, it only ran barely on my old laptop - I needed something more powerful. Fast forward a couple of years, and now that I have a more than capable device, I'm trying to install it.

So I open the Games for Windows Marketplace client, and log in with my credentials, and it tries to update my purchases, only to tell me that "There was an error retrieving your purchase history. Please sign out and try again later." I've been trying this for roughly 12 hours to no avail. Is there any reason as to why I can't do this? I have the key itself for GTA IV, but I have no way to download and install it right now, and I'd really like to have a chance to try it on my new laptop.

Things I've tried:
1. Rebooting
2. Flushing the DNS cache
3. Reinstalling GFW
4. Making sure .NET is up to date
5. Signing out and signing back into GFW
6. Trying a different network (One at home and one at school)
7. Waiting and trying again
8. Ensured date and time are set properly

Am I just totally SOL? Or is there still a way to make use of the purchase that I made and still be able to download and install GTA IV?

Last edited by loco365,

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got a new laptop on Monday and it came in last night, so I've been working to install the games that I own. Except for one - I bought a copy of GTA IV a while back because I had some spare MS points, and because I wanted to mod it. However, it only ran barely on my old laptop - I needed something more powerful. Fast forward a couple of years, and now that I have a more than capable device, I'm trying to install it.

So I open the Games for Windows Marketplace client, and log in with my credentials, and it tries to update my purchases, only to tell me that "There was an error retrieving your purchase history. Please sign out and try again later." I've been trying this for roughly 12 hours to no avail. Is there any reason as to why I can't do this? I have the key itself for GTA IV, but I have no way to download and install it right now, and I'd really like to have a chance to try it on my new laptop.

Things I've tried:
1. Rebooting
2. Flushing the DNS cache
3. Reinstalling GFW
4. Making sure .NET is up to date
5. Signing out and signing back into GFW
6. Trying a different network (One at home and one at school)
7. Waiting and trying again

Am I just totally SOL? Or is there still a way to make use of the purchase that I made and still be able to download and install GTA IV?
>>Games for Windows Marketplace client
>>Not using Steam

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
Reactions: Deleted User
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
So I was doing more Google-fu and checking logs and whatnot, when I found this page, which was started just yesterday: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_support/xbox_on_windows_support/f/5413/p/2068445/5470539.aspx

Guess their server is down for whatever reason. Kinda annoying that I can't download GTA IV but at least I haven't been ripped off of the $5 that I paid for it.

Yeah, GFW wasn't all that great a service. If their server is down for a long time, dial up Microsoft and see what they say.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: A PS3 pkg i downloaded