Did I brick my 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by alexg1989, Mar 11, 2017.

1. alexg1989
    OP

alexg1989 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    where did I go wrong?

The FBI stuff won't load up...

It all seemed to be going smoothly,up until aroundSection III - Configuring Luma3DS of here:https://3ds.guide/installing-arm9loaderhax
    After finishing this section, I pressed start to have it save and reboot like it instructs you to do. It didn't reboot though. It just stayed in a grayish dark screen until I had to turn it off.

Earlier in the guide, it kind of scared me into creating a nand backup before I followed a part of the guide that stressed repeatedly the importance of nand backups. Then when I was about to do the CTR TRANSFER thing, it prompted me to do another nand backup, so I did. I'm not sure if that was my mistake. So right now I have two nandico backups on my mem card

So I went back to the step before FBI injection, which i had skipped because I thought it wasn't meant for me given how it was worded, and I did that step. So now when I insert the SD card I used to actually follow the guide with, a 32gb micRo SD in a SD adaptor, it does boot but it doesn't load the FBI in the health and safety section. When I check my firmware version, it says 11.2.0-35u... so it's the same exact firmware it had when I bought it. Also, another strange issue right now, when I insert the SD card that came with the system, it won't boot up at all.

Last edited by alexg1989, Mar 11, 2017
  2. proflayton123

proflayton123 悲しみ

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    First off, what happens when you remove the sd card and try to boot up?..

3. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    It's not bricked. You have to keep an SD in with an ARM9 payload on the root in order to boot now since you installed A9LH.

eechigoo likes this.
  4. alexg1989
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    If I try to boot with no mem card in the system, it won't boot at all. The screen stays black.

5. proflayton123

proflayton123 悲しみ

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
  6. alexg1989
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    No blue light

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Okay, but even though I have Arms and it can boot, it won't run the FBI stuff from the health and safety menu

7. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Did you follow the steps to inject it into Health and Safety?

8. alexg1989
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    Yes, I did every single step of https://3ds.guide/installing-arm9loaderhax up until Section IV Restoring the System. I initially skipped this part because I thought it didn't apply to me given how the text in the blue box was written. So I initially skipped Section IV and went straight to Section V Injecting FBI....

Then it wouldn't boot up. I figured that's cause I skipped the previous step. So then I did Section IV Restoring the System up to Step 5. The rest of it seemed to be for people who's nand backups were 3.0.0 or 4.5.0

9. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    You don't have to restore your system, but you do need your SD inserted for the system to boot. Just dump hs.app with Hourglass9, inject FBI on your PC, reinsert your SD and install the injected version with Hourglass9.

10. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    Let me get this straight. You skipped 4, did 5, then went back and did 4?

You know how these are numbered, and in a particular order? Yeah, they need to be done in order. Now that you've done 4, you need to re do 5, because you just overwrote whatever you did in 5 by doing 4 after it.

11. outeh

outeh Member

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2017
    Gambia, The
    You initially skiped restoring the System ?I think thats verry risky because of Firmware 2.1 not being verry stabele,but now that you are on Firmware 11.2 just install Fbi (or run it from the Hb channel ) and than just continue with the 3ds.guide (the step of installing arm9 Loaderhax to the ctrnand should fix your Problems with starting without a sd card).

12. Xiantyl

Xiantyl Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2017
    United States
    Get the 3dsx version of fbi and launch it with soundhax from homebrew loader and install fbi from titleDB