Hardware Deyellowing Old Systems or Computers.

astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Has anyone seen this?

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright Gel

It was basically found that the old flame retardant in old plastics (computers, SNESes, whatever of that era) reacted to UV light and degraded into another compound, causing the "yellowing" of older computers. It was found that a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, Oxi-Clean (oxygen booster) and UV light/sunlight could reverse the yellowing permanently!

There are three recipes on the site - apparently the original gel recipe (with glycerine and xanthan gum) dries out less quickly and works better.

It was also suggested that you set up a "de-yellowing" chamber consisting of - UV light source, large transparent container, cling wrap/food wrap, some water at the bottom of the container to keep the gel wet.

Over winter break, I'm going to do some experiments. I have a ton of old hardware (urm...maybe Pentium 2 computers) that I can end up doing with these. The Microsoft optical mouse I have also needs a turn de-yellowing.

Update: I found Xanthan gum at the local Bulk Food retailer (Bulk Barn, if you are in Canada - it's in a package, but it's still worth it). You might be able to find it at a health food store or the gluten free section (it's a common thickener).

Also, glycerine is found at the drugstore/chemist...I got mine at Shopper's Drug Mart.

I found that deyellowing on smaller pieces works well with just a few glugs of hydrogen peroxide and a pinch of Oxi-clean. :)

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Still have to use it, but it was invented by Amiga enthusiasts (and I'm a huge Amiga fan :P) so I knew of it since a few years... works good from what I've seen. Really good, in some cases.

astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Lol. I didn't read it like that.

It's good for classic/retro gamers as well. (My suggestion is to use really weak hydrogen peroxide....maybe the 3% solution?)

Canada is crazy strict about the concentration of hydrogen peroxide - so the strongest stuff I can find is 6% at Walmart.

geishroy

Suspended
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Call me wasteful, but I treat all sucky cases like trash. I would rather replace with a good case than use hazardous chemicals to clean them up.

Of course, this is all in my opinion.

those concentrations of h2o2 aren't considered very hazardous.

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind that once a SNES is yellowed, the plastic is so brittle that when you do anything to it, it will literally crumble. Basically imho any yellowed SNES deck is ruined.

astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Update: I found Xanthan gum at the local Bulk Food retailer (Bulk Barn, if you are in Canada - it's in a package, but it's still worth it). You might be able to find it at a health food store or the gluten free section (it's a common thickener).

Also, glycerine is found at the drugstore/chemist...I got mine at Shopper's Drug Mart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2