DexterDS

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by benjifs, Oct 12, 2008.

Oct 12, 2008

DexterDS by benjifs at 3:52 AM (12,992 Views / 0 Likes) 90 replies

1. benjifs
    OP

Newcomer benjifs Advanced Member

United States
    Hi
    So like I mentioned in wabta's pokedex post I started a pokedex about a month ago. Until just a week ago i didn't know there was someone else working on it, so it kinda sucks. But I figured I worked on this so might as well see if someone likes it and wants me to finish it. Everything is pretty much done, just gotta fix some things and add all the pokemons. So here it is:

[​IMG]

and i just added a download link so feel free to check it out and tell me what you think

UPDATE:
    -KANTO EDITION

Download

2. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    What does this have to do with Dexter?!?!

3. benjifs
    OP

United States

Well in the show I remember Ash's pokedex identifying itself as "dexter".. Thats why

4. pieman202

Member pieman202 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    i'm not sure if i remember right but i think that was the name of ash's pokedex in the anime?

5. alex

Member alex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Don't save as .JPEG(PLEASE)
    It fucks up the quality pretty badly.
    And no$gba for screen shots, Ideas has that watermark, and whatever.

I'm downloading it to try it and I'll compare.

Wow, it has some more feature like the search function, and different graphics. Overall it's really what you are looking for. Right now PokedexDS has the more "gamer's" dex. It has the map location(even though 1-9 the only ones listed aren't on the map [​IMG]) and tells you how/where to get them. Here it has the stats, but really it depends on the nature and all that shit. It's(DexterDS) more touch friendly than PokedexDS but no skins. Really it all comes down to the final version to each. I hope both keep going on as good projects. [​IMG] Good luck!

6. benjifs
    OP

United States
    Well glad to have some feedback. The thing is that I really didn't want to make a "gamer's dex" just because I dont really see the use of it. I mean IF you have two DS's it would make sense but personally I wouldnt turn off the game and check out the homebrew pokedex to see where to catch a pokemon.. My idea was just a basic encyclopedia which has everything you need to know about a pokemon even if you dont play the game.

7. benjifs
    OP

United States
    Well I havent gotten any more feedback here but for those who want to know I just finished the Kanto Edition with 151 pokemons. Check it out and let me know what you think.

8. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Sorry for the late feedback, just got around to trying out DexterDS. It seems very well put together so far, right down to the icon. The only qualms I have with it so far are the lack of any easy way to get around the Pokédex (in essense, a list) and your fonts. The fonts all seem to be antialiased which tends to look bad on low-res displays. The Pokéball icon beside the number is also anti-aliased quite badly. Additionally, the search mode would be greatly improved by allowing keyword searches; "ivy" instead of "ivysaur"; for that matter, it's impossible to enter either of the Nidorans because neither symbol appears on the keyboard. Huh, interesting; searching "mrmime" successfully finds Mr. Mime. Hmm, again on the subject of the search, it'd be nice to have it automatically switch to name mode if you start typing letters.

Sorry if it seems like I'm just complaining, I do enjoy the app greatly, particularly as someone who no longer plays Pokémon. I hope you'll continue working on it.

9. SpikeyBryan

Member SpikeyBryan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It would be cool to add the "cries" of the Pokemon. It would also be spiffy to add the weight comparison and the height comparison :3

10. Kittymat

Member Kittymat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Sounds I agree if poss that would be great, however my son who is 7 is just waiting for the rest of the pokemon to be added [​IMG]

11. benjifs
    OP

United States
    hmmm this has been asked before but the problem is i honestly dont like the little screeching noises that pass off as cries. i dont know i´d prefer real cries but since we dont have that then i dont know. maybe once im done with all 493 ill think about the cries.

i did notice that dexterds is kinda lame without some form of sounds so im gonna add clicking noises and whatnot just because i get easily bored in dead silence.
    oh and one more thing. whoever finds any problems or things you´d like added, fixed, improved, taken out just let me know and ill see what i can do.

12. Mr-Kory

Newcomer Mr-Kory Member

Australia
    I tried out your program i like it the simplicity is good the only suggestions i would have is add more artwork of each pokemon (R/B/Y, G/S/C, etc and the official art), sounds as discussed above, more descriptions from the other pokedex entries (of course the newer pokemon will have less entries) but this makes it interesting to know more about the pokemon than just one entry, button support for the keyboard and lastly the area function but that shouldn't be such a high priority.
    Hmm this turned out bigger than i thought oh well.

13. Dr.Killa

Banned Dr.Killa Banned

United States
    is it still alive?

it looks nice, + the other 1 died. so u should do it...

14. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Needs more murder.....

And congrats on bumping a year old post.

15. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    xD we need someone to make a supremely advanced version of this, naming the TMs, HMs, egg moves, base stats, maximum and minimum stats, natures, and everything else that we can possibly think of (maybe an attack dex as well xD).

But for right now -takes out shotgun-...

16. iMinotauro

Newcomer iMinotauro Advanced Member

United States
    This looks awesome!
    I say keep up the good work.

To my knowledge your poke'dex homebrew is the only one out there BTW.
    I have heard a few but it's seems all have died, Hopefully this one remains active.

[​IMG]

17. benjifs
    OP

United States
    Yes this project is still alive. It's actually completed but since heartgold and soul silver are coming out in a couple of weeks I wanted to wait and release it with the new sprites and descriptions. Ever since they announced that game i decided to just wait for it to come out. And also instead of image base I actually made a small "database" which has all the information needed and that way i dont have to spend hours editing a million images. If anyone already has the sprites then send me a link or something to release this as soon as possible. I know there is a huge sheet with all of them but im too lazy to cut out each sprite from there. Anyways thanks for still caring about a project thats been pretty much away for so long.

By the way I was thinking of changing the name since DexterDS seems confusing and (for some people) irrelevant. However there was already a pokedex project called pokedexDS so if anyone has any cool ideas for names let me know.

18. Ace

Member Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Sweden
    Some renaming suggestions
    PokéGuiDeS
    PokéDS

All I got... I'm gonna try it out, but is the latest version the link in the first post?

ACEDIT: I found a page with links to ALL sprites from Pokémon Green to Platinum. Sadly, they're only static images, and you have to save them down, and they're in a .GIF for some reason. A .ZIP archive can be downloaded directly here. If I were you, I'd find the moving images over at Serebii.net

ACEDIT2: I found a site with all cries. You just gotta scroll down a bit, it's a .ZIP-file, only slightly over 4 MB:
    http://www.legendarypokemon.net/downloads

Good Luck with this!

19. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    I'm pretty sure I have the correct sprites for the pokemon (all of the pokemon I think xD) and they are transparent, but you can see if they are worth anything to your project.
    HGSS.zip
    I looked at the pokemon official site and saw their online pokedex and maybe you can possibly follow their layout (it looks cool xD).
    For the project name, maybe PokeDS (with the mark over the "e" so it can't be confused with "poke" xD)

20. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    I think "PokéDeS" would be better...
    Sounds a bit like "Pokédex" while keeping the "DS" naming/lettering scheme.