Trophies
Website
soifall.net
XP
Country
United States
so i need the original game?
what's the point of this? we can play normally if we do have the discs

Convenience of not having to carry around all your games, as you only verify once. Any further discussions should go here: http://gbatemp.net/topic/330634-why-add-anti-piracy-measures-to-devolution/

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Hi
Someone else has tried to load Killer7 second disc? After press eject to load the disc 2 it throw me out to HBC.I don´t have problems with other games based on 2 disc. Sadly I don´t have USB gecko to report logs =/

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Try defragmenting your drive, I just checked the code and there may be a bug when changing discs if the start of either .ISO is fragmented. If that's not the problem then your second disc most likely isn't a clean dump.

DavidFullBuster

Trophies
XP
smash bros melee ntsc have problems of texture on chose stage and some characters like link have problem of texture :/ and mario sunshine ntsc frezees on title screen

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There are some texture cache issues with the way paletted textures are handled due to differences between the GC/Wii hardware. I haven't bothered to figure out how to fix them since they don't really affect any of the games I play regularly, but I'm sure some people will bitch and moan about SSBM not being 100% perfect.

Reporting graphics bugs in this thread is useless.

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got memory card working. Had to remove/reinsert before it would unlock properly for some reason. I tried out FF Crystal Chronicles (as it is one of the games I"m looking forward to playing once GBA/GC connectivity is implemented) and the colors were completely hosed up. It looked exactly the same as it looks when played in Dolphin with inverted and screwed up colors and textures. Also, the sound was completely hosed up as well. Got nothing but a buzz when music started to play.

Burnt Lasagna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious, but when you add support for classic controllers how will newer Wii's be able to use Devolution when your AP system requires the original disk to be scanned first before playing?

From what I understand newer Wii drives can't read GC disks (they just spit them out), or is that not the case?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Most new Wii's won't read GC discs, it depends on what drive they have. They ones that can are probably using what drives they had left over from making the previous model. But he has no obligation to support new Wii's. If you bought a Wii without GC ports, you really shouldn't expect to be able to play GC games in the first place.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just curious, but when you add support for classic controllers how will newer Wii's be able to use Devolution when your AP system requires the original disk to be scanned first before playing?

From what I understand newer Wii drives can't read GC disks (they just spit them out), or is that not the case?
Dozens of people have asked this question already. One idea I have heard (although I have no idea where it came from, or it tueidj has ever commented on it) is using a USB DVD drive connected to the Wii. Another was verifying on a PC and transmitting the verification file over WiFi to the Wii or something like that.

Burnt Lasagna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you bought a Wii without GC ports, you really shouldn't expect to be able to play GC games in the first place.
I own a Wii with GC ports, I'm just curious how it would work with newer Wii's becuase tueidj stated back when Devolution was announced that it would work with newer models.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
There was also a thread someone made asking about GC compatibility on the Wii U and when everyone was saying it wouldn't be possible [member='tueidj'] made several comments about Devolution being the solution to that. (It is, of course, a proof that it would be possible. I don't know if he meant that Devolution itself would be or if similar technology could theoretically be used) I would doubt that the Wii U would be able to accept small disks either, though.

He also once mentioned that a computer's DVD drive would probably be capable of performing the necessary steps to do verification but that's it's the OS's insisting to try to actually read the rest of the data on the disk that makes the computer nearly freeze when you try to insert one ... but that was just as a response to people saying that it was impossible. He didn't actually say that was how it would be done.

The new no-GC Wiis were mentioned by him when he announced this project, as well, along with the reasons why he was doing it but, even then, it was not exactly worded as one of the reasons why, either, and he has not made any further comments about how that would be accomplished so who knows. He hasn't said, either, that he will NOT be supporting them in the future or that it's NOT possible so I still retain some hope in the midst of his silence.

Generally speaking, very carefully worded and neither confirmed nor denied.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
There was also a thread someone made asking about GC compatibility on the Wii U and when everyone was saying it wouldn't be possible [member='tueidj'] made several comments about Devolution being the solution to that. (It is, of course, a proof that it would be possible. I don't know if he meant that Devolution itself would be or if similar technology could theoretically be used) I would doubt that the Wii U would be able to accept small disks either, though.
Devolution is homebrew software running on IOS 58 with full access rights. Theoretically, it should run in "Wii mode" on a Wii U as long as hardware access is still possible or some other exploit exists. If the Wii U has any media-playing capabilities, it might support miniDVD (which GC discs are based on).

With regards to the new Wii consoles, maybe tueidj doesn't have one yet and that's why he's not commenting on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.