Devolution Black Screen, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Praxis, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Praxis
    OP

Praxis GBAtemp Regular

Mar 26, 2009
    United States
    I ripped my own copy of Super Smash Bros Melee on my Wii, and it runs fine in Devolution. I swap the SD card and HDD to my Wii U and launch Devolution, then choose the same game, but all I get is a black screen.

I'm not even sure how to go about troubleshooting this. Searching hasn't find anything relevant.

Does anyone here have any suggestions?

2. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    It's most likely the Anti-Piracy at work. You need to link the game to a Wiimote on your Wii, and then use that same Wiimote when starting the game on your Wii U. Try this:

1) Swap your hard drive and SD Card back to your original Wii. Eject any discs.
    2) Start Devolution. Hold the Reset button down on your Wii while you select your Super Smash Bros. Melee rip.
    3) The screen should go black, and the Wii Disc Slot will blink twice. At this point, make sure your Wiimote is on and active (led should slowly flash on and off.)
    4) Insert your Melee disc and wait for the game to start.
    5) Turn off Wii and swap SD Card and Hard Drive back to Wii U.
    6) Pair the same Wiimote you used on the Wii with the Wii U. Use it and try launching the game with Devolution.

Yes, I know it's a pain in the butt, but at least you get to play your Gamecube games on the Wii U now.

3. Praxis
    OP

Praxis GBAtemp Regular

Mar 26, 2009
    United States
    Thank you for the response, but I'd actually done all of this before making the thread. :(

I'm using the same Wii remote, same SD card, same hard drive.

Also, after I start Melee on the Wii U, while the screen goes black, I am able to pair additional controllers and if I hit select I can change their ordering.

Is a black screen the typical result of the anti-piracy features?