Deus Ex: Human Racist Revolution

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by prowler, Sep 2, 2011.

Sep 2, 2011
  1. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    But despite high praise for the overall game, there’s been a lot of discussion over whether or not the representation of certain characters in the game cross the line of political correctness, especially in regards to NPC Letitia the Trash Lady, an African American woman who speaks in what is sometimes referred to as slave-era dialect.[/p]Yes, I know

[youtube]http://youtu.be/He09JaBVZdE[/youtube]

2. koimayeul

Member koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    no offense with games relying on stereotypes, it happens all the time

3. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    She's 1 notch above retarded, homeless, and i'm pretty sure a man.
    The way she speaks fits exactly what her character portrays, who cares if she has a hilarious dialect.

White people really need to stop being so fucking scared of being racist.

4. MegaV2

Newcomer MegaV2 Advanced Member

Portugal
    I also thought that was a bit racist the first time I've seen it, but after playing for a while I've noticed that the rest of city folk was also living in similar situations. (People living in the sewers for example).
    Not racist IMO, even thought my mother is African.

5. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Awkward? Yes. Racist? No, I don't really think so. Now, if she started calling Jensen "Mastah" and talked about how she needs "Moonshine and water melons", that would be something entirely different.

6. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    People always have to find something to complain about...

7. brandonspikes

Member brandonspikes King Erazer

United States
    I find it ironic that the only people that complain about racism, are racist's themselves.

ITS JUST A FUCKING VIDEO GAME..

Inbe4 fox news.

Lastly, at least its not another Resident Evil 5 commotion.

8. Hells Malice

Canada
    Alright. Tonight I was working and this black chick, and someone I assume to be her sugar daddy or pimp (though he was white), walked by an aisle I was in. (she looked to be 21 ish, he looked to be 70 ish, and they were together).
    This chick was talking on a cellphone, and she talked in the EXACT same god damn dialect.
    Slave era dialect my ass.

EDIT: and I was listening to her for a good 5 minutes (I swear she talked for 5 minutes straight too...) since they were looking in the aisle on the other side of the one I was in.

9. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I hear people talk like her QUITE often...

10. junkerde

Banned junkerde Banned

United States
    latisha queniffishia laminkrishiqua.

11. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    ...so?

Slavery happened, right?
    Slaves would at times talk like that, right?

It's history. History happened. You can ignore the past but you can't remove it. It's always gonna be there. Now, this character is also living in the fucking slums, and is a homeless trash-woman. I would say that the dialect fits, as some poor, uneducated lady. Christ, stop being so fucking over-sensitive people. This is the problem with society today, people are too afraid to say anything that might offensive, and are the first to call someone out as racist when they see something that might be offensive.

I make racist jokes irl all the time. I don't do it to be hurtful, I do it because they tend to be fuckin hilarious. A black friend of mine from highschool posted a pic of himself on facebook where he had a weird smile and was staring wide eyed off to the side. I messaged him saying I was gonna photoshop it, and he was gonna hate me for it. He told me to bring it on.

A few minutes later, I upload a pic of him now staring right at a kfc bucket, and proceeded to tag him in it. He thought it was hilarious, and even went to far as to set it as his profile pic for two weeks, while he has a LOT of his (obviously black) family on facebook as well.. I didn't do it to be mean or hurtful, I did it because it was a joke, and I know this guy can take a joke when he sees one. He liked it. I didn't get any hate messages from any of his friends or family. It was a light hearted, funny thing I threw together.

12. Tonitonichopchop

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Think of the reverse of this. If we showed a white man from one of the Southern States with a strong accent who drank Moon Shine and had a bunch of teeth missing, should we call that racist? No. They're choosing to portray a character in a way appropriate for the situation and so I don't see why anyone should have a problem with this.

13. steveo1978

Member steveo1978 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    To me it sounds like one of the characters from the cartoon "The Boondocks".

14. kthnxshwn

Banned kthnxshwn Banned

United States
    I see your point but there's a few things wrong with this overall post:

1) History did happen, but that does;t mean it needs to be bought up or resurrected into people's memories. White people don't (for the most part) go around telling black people they can't dine in certain areas or expect them to pick their cotton anymore. I know it's not of the same vein, but certain things don't need to be remembered for whichever culture takes offense to this.
    2) Your friend, I'm sue he's a great guy. However, for an African American person to avoid conflict and try and settle down with racist jokes is incredibly awkward. What is he to do if he thinks you're his friends and doesn't want to create tension between you both? Although, he did make it his profile pic, but his sensitivity towards a matter or racist jokes does not speak for the entire race.

Also, this entire thing is ridiculous. It reminds me of how Hilary Clinton was upset that San Andreas was centered around black people, yet black people from that livelihood were ecstatic that a video game of that stature could be based around them and their lives in the projects. No one cares about what happens in a video game, however, the post I commented in is tackling an entire different issue in the wrong way. I don't choose how you live your life at all, but I don't or wouldn't handle a situation like this by comparing one person's reaction to my friend's.

15. buffdog

Member buffdog GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    wtf lock this crap plz

16. Devante

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    Yeah let's close this.

White guilt at its worst.

17. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Agreed. If this kind of thing offends you, you have issues and are seeking an outlet (excuse) to impose it upon others. That's all political correctness is about. Get over it and move on.

Freedom of speech and expression of ideas. All ideas, even those of racism and homosexuality and anything else that may make you feel awkward. It's these things that teach us who we are.

18. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    That's actually satirical humor, it's supposed to mirror how people talk in real life. The intentionally make black people stereo typically black and white people stereo typically white (barring the main characters).

19. Hells Malice

Canada
    -----

20. DrOctapu

Member DrOctapu Magnificent Bastard

United States
    You should do it. It's awesome, easily one of my favorite TV shows.