Determine CTGP-R version without opening up the channel

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by DismissedGuy, Aug 19, 2018.

1. DismissedGuy
    OP

DismissedGuy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2016
    Netherlands
    Somewhere you don't know
    Hello,

As the title says, I'd like to determine which version of CTGP-R is installed on my or someone else's SD card, just by using a PC. Would this be possible, and if so, how?
    I'm totally fine with using hex editors or similar (if necessary).

Thanks.

2. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Guru

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    It looks like it's compressed so you could either decompress it or just use a checksum. The CRC32 for 1.03.1062 (latest) is 31A33220.

3. DismissedGuy
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2016
    Netherlands
    Somewhere you don't know
    I've not thought about comparing checksums yet. However, afaik, the site does not provide the checksums for every (or any) version, so it wouldn't be really helpful for finding the exact number. Most versions have got multiple updates too, so it'd require matching the checksum with like 6 different possible files just to see whether you've got that version. And then there's always the possibility you got a lower version. Not that convenient.

What do you refer to when saying to decompress "it"? Kinda lost with what you mean there.

4. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Guru

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    It looks like the dol is either encrypted or compressed with Dollz. There isn't any text in it except in libOGC and a Huffman library. Now that I'm looking at the Dollz info on WiiBrew I don't know if there is a way to uncompress it again. It doesn't seem to run on Dolphin either. :/

5. DismissedGuy
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2016
    Netherlands
    Somewhere you don't know
    It doesn't look like they're decompressable, at least not with the tool itself, unless this is undocumented but I highly doubt that's the case.
    I also always assumed that the channel itself was inside the boot.elf on the root, as I can remember that reusing letterbomb after installing the distribution always brought me to the channel. I can imagine that this is done for first-time users to not have to install the hbc first so they can just launch it using letterbomb, though.