Detailed instructions for YATA+?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Baccabechoppin, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Baccabechoppin
    OP

Baccabechoppin GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    I haven't seen any decent instructions for making themes with YATA, most of them just tell you the image sizes not how to make your images that size and work (i.e. would I scale the image and then edit drawable image or flip that order around?) If someone here would be so kind as to help me with this I would greatly appreciate it!

Apologies for being a noob when it comes to photo editing and stuff, never done it before

2. ~Poke~

~Poke~ GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2015
    Your image that you want to see should be the size of the "drawable area". That should go in the top left. The rest of the image should just be empty.
    It took me a little while to figure out too, but if you save the example picture and take a look you should understand.

Baccabechoppin likes this.
  3. Mr. Elementle

Mr. Elementle Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    United States
    Detroit
    theres a pretty good one on the r/3dsthemeswap subreddit, its the top post, but from my experiance for image editing you're gonna want to use paint.net, and use theme templates

Baccabechoppin likes this.
  4. Baccabechoppin
    OP

Baccabechoppin GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    Thanks for the help guys! Managed to find an easy way to make themes myself. All you have to do is save the template of the image and open it in your photo editor (I use GIMP 2.8) and then open the image you want to use as the theme, then simply scale that image to 412x240px for top or 320x240px for the bottom and then line your image up with the blue/red template! Save that image then import it with YATA and it'll fit the screen perfectly!

5. jurassicplayer

jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    Pantsuland
    It doesn't matter how you make your images that size ._.
    You just need to have your images at the size that it tells you. The drawable area just means that what you are going to see is going to be in that area, the rest of the image could be neon pink if you want and nobody would see it.

How you get your images to the size doesn't matter, what you want to scale depends on what you want to see.

This won't answer your question, but maybe it can help answer any other ones you have.

6. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an Enlightened Being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    That's for nonscrolling backgrounds. Yata+ has a tab that details the image dimensions for each scrolling type.