Detailed guide for DS HoBro 0.4??

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by blainy, May 26, 2009.

May 26, 2009
  1. blainy
    OP

Member blainy GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    ok, so i have been hunting round these forums, and also have spent the past hour on google, trying to find a guide for setting up DS HoBro 0.4. i think i have everythign setup right, but i keep being told by teh server app that i must run on my PC that the zero config server is down. acording to google results i found, this shouldnt be an issue. the main issue though, is when i run DS HoBro itself, and select manual entry for the ip address and stuff, no matter which ip i try (pc runnign the server client, my router, the DS itself, etc.) the app seems to hang at teh screen where it says "**initializing WiFi**" and doesnt get any further than that. can anyoen explain to me what i am doing wrong? i have read the readmes, btu they werent as useful as i had hoped.

2. ChuckMcB

Member ChuckMcB GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Couple of things to confirm even before you go near DSHoBro (which can be tricky to set up):

1) have you got your wi-fi working with a retail game (Mario Cart for example)?
    2) have you got a wi-fi homebrew app working Beup (MSN for the DS is most simple to setup but there are plenty others wi-fi Homebrew apps)

If you have problems with 2) give your DS a fixed IP address.

Let me know.

3. blainy
    OP

Australia

i have got a valid and working WiFi setup that was configured with mariokartDS. my DS has a custom IP on my home network. i have used BeUp successfully a few times in the past few days. i am also able to use bunjalloo (sp?), although i havent tested it thouroughly, but it loads pages fine, but i would prefer to use HoBro, as it sounds liek a better browser for me.

JUST TO CLARIFY, I AM STILL WANTING TO GET DSHOBRO WORKING PROPERLY..i just need some decent instructions

4. Sarvesh50

Member Sarvesh50 Aye!

Netherlands
  5. ChuckMcB

United Kingdom
    erm.. Sarvesh50, you know that the link you posted is just the readme.txt from the .zip file that blainy says he's aready read?

> JUST TO CLARIFY, I AM STILL WANTING TO GET DSHOBRO
    > WORKING PROPERLYi just need some decent instructions
    We hear you [​IMG] The instructions are good, it *should* work out of the box for *some* folks.....but when it doesn't we need to troubleshoot.

Anyhow, blainy, more stuff to check:

1) Does your router (while you have not said you have a router but I will presume so) have an open called "wireless isolation"? It's meant to stop wireless clients connecting to other wireless or wired clients) turn it off if you do as a test (you can always turn it back on if it makes no difference)

2) Have you dropped the firewall on your PC (or at very least open a port)

3) Do you have another computer on the network? If so :
    a) on Computer A run server.exe click start (leave the error if you get it)
    b) take a note of the IP address of Computer A (type ipconfig in a MS-DOS box...do not use whatismyip.com or similar)
    c) go to the other computer and open up an MS-DOS prompt and type 'telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' (where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address you noted from b)
    If server.exe is running and no firewall is in the way it will say "001 HELLO". Any other message means that either
    i) server.exe is not running
    ii) you closed the "Zero-config" error box
    iii) you still have a firewall running on Computer A.

Let me know how you get on.

6. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Do you have a DSi? If so, that's the reason... the current homebrew wifi protocols do not work with the DSi system.

7. blainy
    OP

Australia
    1. i do have a wireless router, couldnt find anything to do with wireless isolation at all..when i am connecting from DS HoBro, what ip do i use in teh manual setup part?is it teh ip of my pc with the hobro server on it, or my router?
    2. i received a message from the firewall asking if i wanted to allow the connection from DS HoBro, and i allowed it, i also tried fowarding ports from my routers control panel, however, as stated above, im unsure which IP to be using
    3. i dont have easy acesss to another pc on teh network. i wll try to run this test tomorrow, and let you know how i go

8. ChuckMcB

United Kingdom
    1) If pressing A doesn't work, then use the IP address of your computer not the router.

9. Neku_Sakuraba

Member Neku_Sakuraba GBAtemp Regular

United States
    just go with bunjallo cause for hobro you have to run your computer on and waste energy. Bunjallo is overall a good web browser so i see no point in using hobro if you got to have your computer on. If they could figure out a way to run hobro while your computer is of or give it some way to connect to a online server then i would get hobro in a instant but now the best web browser out there is bunjallo. Hobro is faster overall but then bunjallo allows the ability to browse the web without a server.

Posts merged

just don't waste your time on ds hobro unless they can make it work without a server then bunjallo is better! [​IMG] no hard feeling dude.

10. HYPERMETAL

Newcomer HYPERMETAL Advanced Member

United States
    try this.

1)open up the DSHobro sever.
    2)click start, it will say 'The Zero-Configuration Server appears to be down', don't click OK, just leave it.
    3)Start up DSHobro on your DS and press X, and enter your IP.

it should work

11. Neku_Sakuraba

Member Neku_Sakuraba GBAtemp Regular

United States
    ds hobro isn't really worth the effort. bunjallo is better and dosen't require a server so give up! ds hobro is a waste of time unless they make it able to load without a server. [​IMG]

12. ChuckMcB

United Kingdom
    Just downloaded and got DSHobro working fine.

In my case I had to set up a rule to allow incoming connections on port 666, my firewall prompted me to allow server.exe to get outgoing access.
    Left the "Zero Configuration" error box open. (you will not get that message if you are using a USB dongle for your Wi-Fi network, which I presume the writer of DSHoBro is/was)
    Pressing A connected fine to my Wi-Fi but could not find server.exe
    So I pressed X and entered the IP from the PC running server.exe and it connected and worked fine.

Yea, it aint zippy quick, but it works.

Let us know how you get on blainy.