Desperate help for a desperate user.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by caprathebest, Jul 16, 2015.

1. caprathebest
    OP

caprathebest GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2014
    Italy
    Hey.

I've been trying, for the last year, to fix my "new" gaming pc. The specs are the following:
    CPU: AMD FX 6350
    Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S
    Ram: Kingstone 8gb ddr3 HyperX Blu
    GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 760 HAWK
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0
    HDD: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB & Samsung SSD 850 EVO
    PSU: Cooler Master RS-600-ACAB-M2 ATX 600W

The pc is like super fast 'n stuff (I code a lot, and it's really good for that kind of stuff), but there's a very big problem: if I ever try to play a stupid game for more than 5 minutes (es. Transistor, I want to finish that game so bad) it shuts down without any notice. That problem also occurs while browsing the web or doing something CPU intensive.
    Yesterday I installed the new cooler (the noctua that I stated up in the thread) and threw away the old-stock one. The temperature inside is a bit cooler, but the problem persists. I tried running the 3D Mark benchmark before changing the heatsink and after. The result is that it just passes the first test and then shuts down, while with the old stock one it would reach just half of it.

I'm really out of ideas. Please help me :(
    PS: I've also tried formatting it, and reinstalling everything, without any luck. I think it's too late to call the warranty center, but it's just my thought. If that's necessary I'm gonna do it.

2. sandytf

sandytf GBAtemp Regular

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Can you test with a different power supply?

3. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Sounds like either an inadequate PSU or overheating. Does it last longer before shutting it down if you leave it off for a while (e.g. overnight) compared to if it has already been on for a while before you try playing a game?

4. _v3

_v3 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 12, 2013
    Croatia
    Need a better PSU. Get a 750W PSU and you should be fine.

Btw, are you satisfied with your noctua, I need to get a cooler for my new rig but I'm unsure on what to get (I'm afraid of OC-ing my processor with the stock cooler).

5. caprathebest
    OP

May 15, 2014
    Italy
    well the build quality is incredible, also the support is super friendly (they sent me for free a new amd backplate, because my old one wasn't good), but they're pricey (like mine was 70€, but they included everything in the box, both amd and Intel supports for the heatsink, and a tube of thermal paste)

6. caprathebest
    OP

May 15, 2014
    Italy
    also thank you for your comments. gonna try another psu soon

7. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    I don't see why anybody is recommending a better PSU for this build, since 600W is more than enough for a GTX 760 and AMD CPU. The GPU takes up to 170W, and recommends a 500W PSU... so plenty of space there. Definitely no need for 750W.
    Testing with a different PSU though, is fair enough. That rules out faulty PSU. You should also let us know what temperatures you're seeing when it happens. If you can find CPU and GPU temperatures, that'd help us tell if it's overheating or not.

8. caprathebest
    OP

May 15, 2014
    Italy
    well the CPU is 40° and the GPU 55/60° during the benchmark, soooooo dunno

9. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    So if it's not temperature, then it makes me think power, either dropouts or shorts. I'm not too sure how to go about troubleshooting those, but a step you could try is reseating the graphics card and RAM, and maybe reducing to a minimal setup (1 RAM stick, 1 HDD, GPU, and nothing else) to see if it still happens. And if it does, try swapping the RAM stick.

Remember to always ground yourself before touching electrical parts. It only takes a tiny ESD to fry your parts (you won't even feel it).

10. caprathebest
    OP

May 15, 2014
    Italy
    I think I "fixed" the problem. As suggested by some of you I changed my ram with a better one (Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600mhz) and the computer seemed to work flawlessly, until I started playing Dying Light. It works 'n stuff, but when I try to enter a loading zone(when changing map) the pc crashes, like before. I'm out of ideas actually, and I'd really prefer not to buy another power supply, since I'm pretty much out of money ATM. If it helps, I've installed Windows 10.

Last edited by caprathebest, Oct 4, 2015