zabs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I've been spending all of yesterday to get my wii back up running again, however I had been running into issues, more so than when i originally softmodded this wii!

I eventually got everything setup, however one annoying bug with d2x is that it refuses to load games from my hdd when it is connected at boot. If I connect the hdd when usb loader gx is looking for a hdd, then the game works fine, and boots up fast, runs fast, until i go back to the home menu and decide to load another game, then I have to repeat the process.

However, if I use Hermes 224 CIOS, then the game works fine! Even if my hdd is connected at boot! Although, this slows down the game slightly.

So this boils down to the d2x cios, why is it so temperamental with hard drives? I'm not the only one facing this issue, I've seen so many threads regarding hdd issues, yet everyone claims this is the go to CIOS. I know hermes hasn't been updated in a long time, and as a result some games might not work because theyll ask for an update, but id rather have this then having to disconnect reconnect my hdd everytime i change the game.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi everyone,

I've been spending all of yesterday to get my wii back up running again, however I had been running into issues, more so than when i originally softmodded this wii!

I eventually got everything setup, however one annoying bug with d2x is that it refuses to load games from my hdd when it is connected at boot. If I connect the hdd when usb loader gx is looking for a hdd, then the game works fine, and boots up fast, runs fast, until i go back to the home menu and decide to load another game, then I have to repeat the process.

However, if I use Hermes 224 CIOS, then the game works fine! Even if my hdd is connected at boot! Although, this slows down the game slightly.

So this boils down to the d2x cios, why is it so temperamental with hard drives? I'm not the only one facing this issue, I've seen so many threads regarding hdd issues, yet everyone claims this is the go to CIOS. I know hermes hasn't been updated in a long time, and as a result some games might not work because theyll ask for an update, but id rather have this then having to disconnect reconnect my hdd everytime i change the game.

Has anyone found a solution to this?
Hello,

For CIOS d2x, you can use version 8 final. It is a very good version, this version should work correctly, just like version 10 beta 52.

Reactions: zabs

zabs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

For CIOS d2x, you can use version 8 final. It is a very good version, this version should work correctly, just like version 10 beta 52.

just tried v8 final and it has the same issue. not sure why hermes works fine but d2x doesn't like my hard drive

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Set the "Loader's IOS" setting to 58.

A LOT of users had this issue, so I released r1272 with IOS58 by default.
Now A LOT of users has issues with 58... and needs to set 249 back...

and on top of that, r1272 has memory leak issues and broken features (dump disc is freezing the GUI), so I reverted the default download link to 1271.
Users with HDD init issue need to set 58 themselves.
users who don't have issue with cIOS don't need to change anything.

Last edited by Cyan,

zabs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is my syscheck:
Code:
SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: PAL
System Menu 4.3E (v514)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 07.14.2008
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 95317400
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United Kingdom (110)
Boot2 v4
Found 96 titles.
Found 56 IOS on this console. 6 of them are stubs.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS80 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS90 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS202[60] (rev 65535
IOS222[38] (rev 4
IOS223[38+37] (rev 4
IOS224[37] (rev 65535
IOS236[36] (rev 65535
IOS245[37] (rev 21008
IOS246[38] (rev 21008
IOS247[53] (rev 21008
IOS248[55] (rev 21008
IOS249[57] (rev 21008
IOS250[56] (rev 21008
IOS251[58] (rev 65535
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 05/10/2020.

Surprisingly, after setting loader IOS to 58, USB Loader "patched" it on startup, but failed to initialise the hard drive, so I reverted back to IOS 249, and now the issue is gone? I'll test again later, but the games are loading fine even with the hdd connected. Weird

Reactions: jeannotte

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
i've had similar issues when i remodded a wii i modded for my sister 10 years ago or so, I ended up removeing all hacks of the system, doing a full format, cleaning all the ios up by installing clean ones etc, and then using modmii again (again because id installed it over my previous hacks) and then everything worked perfectly, other issues included discs,(legit or burned) randomly not working after a reboot, might be worth a shot?

zabs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So an update... the issue being fixed after setting ios58 and setting 249 back was just a façade.. the game would crash after loading in
i've had similar issues when i remodded a wii i modded for my sister 10 years ago or so, I ended up removeing all hacks of the system, doing a full format, cleaning all the ios up by installing clean ones etc, and then using modmii again (again because id installed it over my previous hacks) and then everything worked perfectly, other issues included discs,(legit or burned) randomly not working after a reboot, might be worth a shot?
So I followed your advice and restored back to default, by backing up my nand, formatting it and downloading fresh 4.3E files, only installed beta52 on 249 and 250 however, now, the game does not boot at all, even if I connect my hdd when prompted. Not sure whats going on here

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

So an update... the issue being fixed after setting ios58 and setting 249 back was just a façade.. the game would crash after loading in

So I followed your advice and restored back to default, by backing up my nand, formatting it and downloading fresh 4.3E files, only installed beta52 on 249 and 250 however, now, the game does not boot at all, even if I connect my hdd when prompted. Not sure whats going on here

Your USB HDD is connected to Port 0 ?
index.jpg

Did you used the WiiBackup Manager for the Games Transfers from the PC to your USB HDD please ?

You can maybe try an older Revision from the USBLoader GX (r1268 or 1271 should be a good Idea and ok).

Please (before you should make a Backup of it please) also delete the Folder in SD:\apps\usbloader_gx" before and make it as fresh "Installation".

Good luck and
Thank you.:)

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country

you should have reinstalled ALL clean IOS over the previous ones 1st, then format, and then reinstall all the ios from modmii, just formatting the wii console doesnt clean it by removing all the patched IOS files

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also what hdd are you using? some drives will require a Y cable to supply more power, if you're using an ssd you shouldnt need more than the one usb port, but most drives will want a Y cable or some other form of power along side the usb

zabs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello.:)

Your USB HDD is connected to Port 0 ?
View attachment 209339
I
Did you used the WiiBackup Manager for the Games Transfers from the PC to your USB HDD please ?

You can maybe try an older Revision from the USBLoader GX (r1268 or 1271 should be a good Idea and ok).

Please (before you should make a Backup of it please) also delete the Folder in SD:\apps\usbloader_gx" before and make it as fresh "Installation".

Good luck and
Thank you.:)

Yes I used Wii backup manager. I'll try an older revision of USB loader and report back

you should have reinstalled ALL clean IOS over the previous ones 1st, then format, and then reinstall all the ios from modmii, just formatting the wii console doesnt clean it by removing all the patched IOS files

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also what hdd are you using? some drives will require a Y cable to supply more power, if you're using an ssd you shouldnt need more than the one usb port, but most drives will want a Y cable or some other form of power along side the usb

I thought the IOS were stored on the nand? I used ohneschwanzenegger to download fresh 4.3E files and restored the new nand, which brought me to the setup screen. Does that not wipe IOS too? If not, where can I get clean IOS files? Thanks

Reactions: Alexander1970

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
they are stored on the nand, but the wii doenst know the difference between modded ones and clean ones, so it just leaves them as is. formatting the wii from any state is about the same as restarting your phone, or formatting it with a custom ROM, it wont reinstall the original rom
modmii has an option if you use the non gui version to download everything, including all IOS that are clean, it takes a while to download them but its how i redid my wii, the only IOS i wouldnt touch is something like 254 or one of the other cIOS that allows you to run wad managers in some way, but you will want to delete all the other IOS that are numbered like 222 220 etc, and just install the other clean ios over all the other ones

zabs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they are stored on the nand, but the wii doenst know the difference between modded ones and clean ones, so it just leaves them as is. formatting the wii from any state is about the same as restarting your phone, or formatting it with a custom ROM, it wont reinstall the original rom
modmii has an option if you use the non gui version to download everything, including all IOS that are clean, it takes a while to download them but its how i redid my wii, the only IOS i wouldnt touch is something like 254 or one of the other cIOS that allows you to run wad managers in some way, but you will want to delete all the other IOS that are numbered like 222 220 etc, and just install the other clean ios over all the other ones

I followed this tutorial:
https://mkwii.com/showthread.php?tid=877

states in chapter 3 that when formatting the nand, it erases everything including IOSs, I even had to re enter my wii consoles serial number, so its hard to believe it will keep the cIOSs. I think the wii has been put back to a default state with only whats needed. Anyway, after reformatting the hdd and using my existing method of connecting when prompted, the games load fine now.
I guess I'll try a different usb loader to see if that fixes anything

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
I followed this tutorial:
https://mkwii.com/showthread.php?tid=877

states in chapter 3 that when formatting the nand, it erases everything including IOSs, I even had to re enter my wii consoles serial number, so its hard to believe it will keep the cIOSs. I think the wii has been put back to a default state with only whats needed. Anyway, after reformatting the hdd and using my existing method of connecting when prompted, the games load fine now.
I guess I'll try a different usb loader to see if that fixes anything
from what i can tell from that is, by using their tools it will reinstall all IOS, just formatting wont do anything to them

zabs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE

Issue resolved! I literally have tried everything and I am SO annoyed this was the issue. Cheap cable between hdd and wii! I swapped it for another cable and now everything works fine! I’ve wasted 8 hours combined on this... I am relieved and annoyed at the same time. Thanks for the help everyone

Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn4vARy44iY