D-pad modding

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by WildWon, Apr 2, 2010.

1. WildWon
    OP

WildWon EXTERMINATE!

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2008
    United States
    8-Bit Heaven
    About a year ago, i did the PSP D-pad mod:
    http://www.ufighterx.com/guides/videogame/.../pspdpadfix.htm

Thanks to my shaky hands, "right" registers as "up-right." I've worked around it long enough, and i wanna play games CORRECTLY now [​IMG]

So, is there any place that sells pre-modded dpads for a 1000 model? Or are there "advanced" dpads i can order from somewhere?
    Or has someone here successfully done it that could do one for me and send it to me (with monetary compensation, of course [​IMG])?

I have no problems opening the system to install it, it's just the cutting/gluing that screws me.

Lemme know! Thanks [​IMG]

2. Lothar23

Lothar23 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    What did you use for the material? I tried a cereal box, but it made the d-pad too stiff. Instead, I used one of my VHS covers. Plus, I used tape instead of glue. I didn't have any, so I just rolled the tape into a small circle and stuck it on there. So far, there hasn't been any problems with it.

I tried looking for pre-modded d-pads, but Google said nothing to me. I just did it myself.

3. WildWon
    OP

WildWon EXTERMINATE!

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2008
    United States
    8-Bit Heaven
    I used a Nes case, as recommended. It's just that i can't cut properly, due to shaky hands.

As well, that's why i was asking here, if anyone could A. Do it, or B. know of anywhere to get a premodded pad... because Google didn't help [​IMG]

4. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
    I know it's not particularly helpful but the Slim PSP's avoid this issue entirely by having **SHOCK HORROR** a decent D-Pad. I have no clue if it's the crosspiece itself that's deeper, or it's just higher set, but if you don't want to upgrade to a better console, seeing if an alternative part might work could be a solution.

5. WildWon
    OP

WildWon EXTERMINATE!

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2008
    United States
    8-Bit Heaven
    I don't have any means of getting a PSP2k, at all heh.

So, next question, has any one successfully replaced a PSP1000 dpad with a PSP2000 dpad?

I've done some searching and come up with nothing, and i don't have the cash to even get a psp2k pad from DX (let alone a psp2k [​IMG]) if it would NOT work at all.

However, i'm going to test out some things as soon as i'm able to use some expendable income for testing.

Thanks for the idea [​IMG]

6. Shardnax

Shardnax GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2008
    United States
    I haven't replaced a 1k with a 2k D-Pad, but I could make a decent cut for you and mail it, if you aren't opposed to it. Gluing it is as simple as dabbing a little bit of super glue onto the NES piece and sticking it onto your d-pad [​IMG].

7. WildWon
    OP

WildWon EXTERMINATE!

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2008
    United States
    8-Bit Heaven
    That would be great. I need to snag a new dpad however... i had already glued my effed up piece to the current dpad. And i dunno if i could bork the gluing with it being off center.

Do you know if i can cut off the old one? Or would that be too thin of a cut that could destroy up the pad?

Heh i've been inside my psp, but it was a while back, and i really don't wanna permafuck the system.

8. Shardnax

Shardnax GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2008
    United States
    Use a solvent to loosen the glue and it should come right off. I've made the cut, it isn't perfect but it is ok and it will fit. Just fill a small plastic cup with a small amount of whatever solvent you plan to use and drop the d-pad in.

9. WildWon
    OP

WildWon EXTERMINATE!

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2008
    United States
    8-Bit Heaven
    Ah! Fantastic. I didn't think the removal would be that easy.

Best recommended solvent? I have never needed to remove superglue before heh. (and i don't want to erode the pad.)

10. Shardnax

Shardnax GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2008
    United States
    I don't know if anything powerful enough to remove it quickly would damage the pad. See if you can get a small flat-head under the nes piece and push it up enough to tear off.

11. Bulit

Bulit GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2009
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    You should try rubbing alcohol. Depending on the strength and quality of the super glue you used, it should work. Or try this. [​IMG]

12. Shardnax

Shardnax GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2008
    United States
    If he leaves it sitting in the rubbing alcohol it should at least loosen it enough to remove it.