OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Cyclo ds evolution or Acekard 2 (or 2i) and why.

I currently have an acekard 2i running akaio on a ds lite. I am thinking about buying a cyclo ds evolution, but not sure if it worth it.
nds.gif

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you have a DS Lite and an Acekard 2i already, then I don't see the immediate need to buy a Cyclo DS.

Whilst I will say that the Cyclo DS plays games better, especially titles like Pokémon Platinum and GTA:CW, and has a number of bonuses, the Acekard also has the awesome AKAIO firmware and the benefit of being cheap.

Up to you really, I have both because Cyclo DS doesn't work on the DSi.

ShiningYoshi1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyclo if you have the money, nice GUI, plays games well, easy to use, etc.

But if you have an AK2 already then why do you need another cart?

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm the reverse, thinking of getting an acekard 2i and already own a cyclo.

I don't multiplayer or link to a Wii so maybe I'm not seeing the true difference between the cyclo and its competitors. For single player use I haven't found it to be the slightest bit superior to its competitor products and certainly not worth the extra cash for that kind of use.

If it really is better at wii linking and what not and that's what you do with your DS then maybe its worth it to you.

AKAIO seems to update more regularly and its certainly a better looking, more featured gui. I would NEVER recommend the cyclo to someone based on its gui, its even uglier than the R4 and has less gui features (can't delete/file manage). About the only thing going for it is a wide range of foreign languages you can run it in.

There are plenty of cards out there that feature match the cyclo for less dosh, the cyclo has devout fans who seem to be convincing themselves that it was worth the money to buy. I guess I'm just not one of them. There is a lot of hype around the cyclo that I just don't understand.

c2ironfist

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
RupeeClock said:
If you have a DS Lite and an Acekard 2i already, then I don't see the immediate need to buy a Cyclo DS.

Whilst I will say that the Cyclo DS plays games better, especially titles like Pokémon Platinum and GTA:CW, and has a number of bonuses, the Acekard also has the awesome AKAIO firmware and the benefit of being cheap.

Up to you really, I have both because Cyclo DS doesn't work on the DSi.

Curious how it plays games better? I don't really notice any difference with other flashcards besides the GUI, and loading of the game. Once it's loaded you can't really tell any difference at all.

Rascal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have both cards and for use on a DS/DSL, I would stick with the CycloDS. I've noticed a few games that just don't behave well on Acekard 2i (even with AKAIO). One mainstream game that I play with my kids that doesn't work well with AK 2i is AC:WW. Lots of glitches. I've also noticed a lot of problems with WiFi and there is no Wii connectivity (I know the OP stated he/she didn't use this, but thought it was worth mentioning for others).

Another oddity with the Acekard is that SAV files do not get their "modified date" updated on the card when you play games. I find this a terrible nuisance as I like to periodically restore my SAV files to their retail carts and on the CycloDS, all I have to do is sort by date on my computer.

To be honest, the AK2i was a temp solution for me until TC releases a CycloDSi. But I've had so many problems with teh AK2i (compared to a near-perfect experience with my CycloDS) that I am now debating between only playing from my retail carts on my DSi (which is a pain to carry around 75+ carts) or carrying around both my DSi and DSL and only play DSL games with my CycloDS.

Due to the numerous games that I play that have friend codes, I prefer to use only 1 device, so I'm in line for the first CycloDSi device. I would gladly pay for an interim card that added no additional functionality besides allowing me to play my DS titles on my DSi and then purchase another card in the future if TC was able to add DSi specific features.

Findecanno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just keep your acekard and use AKAIO. its a waste to get a cyclo unless your rich considering you already have one of the best cards tehre is.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Porkdish said:
I'm the reverse, thinking of getting an acekard 2i and already own a cyclo.

I don't multiplayer or link to a Wii so maybe I'm not seeing the true difference between the cyclo and its competitors. For single player use I haven't found it to be the slightest bit superior to its competitor products and certainly not worth the extra cash for that kind of use.

If it really is better at wii linking and what not and that's what you do with your DS then maybe its worth it to you.

AKAIO seems to update more regularly and its certainly a better looking, more featured gui. I would NEVER recommend the cyclo to someone based on its gui, its even uglier than the R4 and has less gui features (can't delete/file manage). About the only thing going for it is a wide range of foreign languages you can run it in.

There are plenty of cards out there that feature match the cyclo for less dosh, the cyclo has devout fans who seem to be convincing themselves that it was worth the money to buy. I guess I'm just not one of them. There is a lot of hype around the cyclo that I just don't understand.
I'm not sure when the last time you checked the Cyclo's feature list was, but it has these things called the Slow-Motion, Real Time Save and In-Game Guide. Whether these features are worth the extra money or not is up to you to decide, but saying that all the Cyclo has over the Acekard2 is a better Wii compatibility is simply uninformed.

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It was the other way around actually, I had been looking at a number of cards and mistakenly thought the Acekard might have had these 'features' that have been showing up on a few current generation cards. Now that these gimmicks features are in the discussion, lets talk about them and how reliable and useful they are.

The rts and slow motion are iffy performers at best, like as not to crash your game. You reach a critical/difficult part of your game, and then argue with yourself over the risks of making a real time save.

The real time guide feature is nifty and I'm sure I'd miss it, but I would give it up for better file management/gui without losing sleep. Not to mention running on a DSi. Menudo has a better chance of coming out before the mythical cyclo ds gui update so maybe I can have some of my cake and eat it too.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
first of all why do we need to compare cyclo and acekard?
both are in a different range

comparing cyclo with the likes of supercard and m3 make more sense
it is because of the features they offer

as for acekard unless you are using AKAIO otherwise it is just an useless card!

if you ask me for opinion which is better?
that question is back to you!
you want FEATURES ?
or
playing games with piracy protection ASAP?

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard that the cyclo is the only card that can connect with the Wii. If only other flash card makers would apply themselves instead of just making a port to the dsi.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Porkdish said:
It was the other way around actually, I had been looking at a number of cards and mistakenly thought the Acekard might have had these 'features' that have been showing up on a few current generation cards. Now that these gimmicks features are in the discussion, lets talk about them and how reliable and useful they are.

The rts and slow motion are iffy performers at best, like as not to crash your game. You reach a critical/difficult part of your game, and then argue with yourself over the risks of making a real time save.

The real time guide feature is nifty and I'm sure I'd miss it, but I would give it up for better file management/gui without losing sleep. Not to mention running on a DSi. Menudo has a better chance of coming out before the mythical cyclo ds gui update so maybe I can have some of my cake and eat it too.
The RTS is admittedly unreliable, but I've found that slow-motion performs well on all games I've tested it on. Personally I don't usually delete/copy/move files on my DS very often so file management can easily be done on a homebrew without wasting much time, but no amount of tweaking the Acekard are going to give it Cyclo's in-game features. Pretty cheap shot to call the Cyclo's features "gimmicks" when in-GUI file management and pretty graphics are rather gimmicky themselves, don't you think?

Anyway, the Cyclo isn't a perfect cart by any means, the GUI is admittedly shoddy and game compatibility updates can be faster. The point is if you value the features the Cyclo offer, then you will be happy to pay more for it, and if not, no need to waste the extra money and just buy a cheaper cart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7