Custom Patches via CIA?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by soneek, Apr 20, 2015.

1. soneek
    OP

soneek GBAtemp Regular

Jun 27, 2012
    United States
    Someone had mentioned this to me months ago when I brought up the idea of 3iivolution. I'd like to be able to play custom music for Smash Bros., but I'd like to insert the new files as a custom patch, rather than building a full edit of the game. Has anyone worked on anything like this before?

2. osm70

osm70 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2011
    Czech Republic
    It could work, but the game must be programmed to look for patches or DLC, so it wont work for all games.

3. Oishikatta

Oishikatta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 30, 2014
    United States
    Custom patches have been used for, e.g. MH4G to duplicate items.

What you want is probably NTR's LayeredFS though. KARL will also probably have something like that if they release something. Anyways, check the NTR threads.

https://github.com/44670/layeredFS/wiki/manual

4. soneek
    OP

soneek GBAtemp Regular

Jun 27, 2012
    United States

That's pretty awesome. Unfortunately, I'm unable to use that since I don't have a N3DS. That'll be useful for some of my friends though. I'd need a method that could be used alongside Gateway's emunand for now.

5. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2002
    StapleButter is working on something similar to LayeredFS.

He's yet to comment on whether or not it'll be part of the KARL project, or released seperately (and hopefully earlier).

My guess would be that it will be part of KARL, and therefore still months away.

It could very well be done through Ninjhax though, so who knows.

See below for a quick comparison between LayeredFS and his project.

This sort of discussion is better suited for ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities.