Current flash carts and the future

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Edwii, Aug 12, 2011.

Aug 12, 2011
  1. Edwii
    OP

Member Edwii GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I know we are all pretty much in the dark, and I have the feeling something like this has be brought up before, but I couldn't find a clear answer.

With the best DSi Carts we have on the market (like the Supercard DSTWO) that run DS games on the 3DS;
    Can we speculate that they should have enough hardware to run 3ds games come the time they are hacked, or is it safer to say that the most they will ever run are DS games?

This is just speculation, trying to find some level of senses.
    I acknowledge that in the future we may just soft mod the 3ds instead of relying on carts.

2. aireca

Member aireca GBAtemp Regular

United States
    They will sell a new more expensive flashcart for sure

Its a company, they want make money

anyway i think something like homebrew channel on the Wii will be released someday
    we are talking about 3-5 years, dont expect something in short time,
    it can never come, i hope not [​IMG]

3. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    It is highly improbable that any DS flashcart will ever be able to run 3DS backups.

4. chauffler

Banned chauffler Banned

United States
    but why is it highly improbable I'm just curious

5. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    [guess] The only working DSi cart seems to use a full rom of a commercial game to boot in DSi mode, assuming that a similar thing would need to be done in 3DS mode, current carts might not have a large enough flashable area to store a whole 3DS game. [/guess]

6. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    Imagine a giant bulky thing sticking out of your 3DS, just for the space needed to flash a 3DS rom in. Like an Action Replay DS, except much worse..

But, my guess is that there's gonna be some kind of save-game exploit using OoT3D (how ironic) since it uses the same engine as the original N64 version, god, most of the original glitches still work. Anyways, my guess is that we'll have a save-game exploit with OoT3D, and we'll have to sand off the part of the cart that's sticks out, so we can flash the savefile using an original DS/DSlite ontothe cart, then put it back in the 3DS, then do something in game, crash, and bam, SD card access or something. Or maybe we'll have a 3DSware exploit. (Hopefully the 3DS flipnote studio will have some backdoors...)

Also, according to LGC (the release group who released the first 3DS roms), they have a way to play roms already. Of course, they could be trolling.

7. ClassicGOD

Newcomer ClassicGOD Member

Poland
    Glitches still work because technically they are not glitches anymore. The game is hardcoded to behave that way - it's fan service not the same engine.

8. kotaro_14

Newcomer kotaro_14 Member

United States
    If they really wanted to make money, I guess they could make Modchips.

9. Pippin666

Member Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Canada
    Trying to install a chip on a device that is designed to be as small as possible is a bad idea.

Pip'

10. aireca

United States
    Modchips will be very illegal, remember famicom?,
    making a bunch of pirate carts are not more profitable outside of china,

flashcarts are legal on most places, not all places, just see the legal disputes on spain...

thats why china center his efforts on flashcarts

11. Shuji1987

Member Shuji1987 ~

Netherlands

They aren't? Again, this differs per country I guess.

You can pretty much do whatever you want with your product that you own. If you want it to act as a fridge, then that's your choice. Just don't expect support on it anymore.

12. aireca

United States
    Well thats another thing, support, nintendo doesnt have a real thing to fight legally against Flashcarts, more than the difuse of things like "Your 3DS will explode if you insert a flashcart", because you are not modifing your 3ds