sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Dear British English speakers and people from the UK,

I heard some time ago that if you tell somebody "See you next Tuesday!" on the UK, it could be considered offensive. I don't know if it is true or not.
So I was thinking what about if you tell someone casually, let's say a work mate, "See you next Tuesday!" when you are leaving the office tomorrow.

Will they understand you are telling them that you actually plan to see them on, say, next Tuesday... Or will they get offended?

Well, that is my weird question today.

BR.

PS: And what about in USA? Canada? Australia? New Zealand? Etc?

Trophies
Country
Canada
Umm... I'm from Canada. I go and see my friends on Tuesday for Pokémon TCG at a comic book store and I always tell them I will see them next Tuesday. They just reply saying yeah see you next Tuesday.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I don't see how see you next Tuesday becomes CUNT, even if you try to shorten it , I wouldn't shorten it to CUNT, maybe C U next Tuesday

but that said, I don't think too many people in the UK are that easily offended by a word, unless you specifically say it in a offensive way, and even then most would probably not be all that upset by it unless they are ultra sensitive (they might call you a cunt back, or think your a bit of an idiot, but I don't think too many would be upset about it)

Last edited by gamesquest1,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't even aware that was an acronym. Yes, "cunt" is considered highly offensive, at least where I'm from, but literally saying "See you next Tuesday" would only ever be taken at face value

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok, then I can say literally "See you next Tuesday!", without misunderstandings.
I was holding back on saying that (a problem when I was expecting to see somebody on Tuesday) because I wasn't sure if it was offensive.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In the UK, if someone wanted to call you a cunt, well, they would just call you a cunt :rofl2:.

Don't think it's considered that offensive here, at least not compared to other countries. I hear it fairly frequently and no one other than old people really seems to care.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
^ exactly that.

If you ever have watched British television, you'd immediately notice that people call each other names far more often then Americans do.
No one of the younger generation seems to care indeed.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
see the thing is a lot of people in the UK only give words meaning based on context, I can call a friend a bastard cunt and it all be done in jest whilst I can call someone else a clown and it would be considered a big insult....really it just depends on who your saying it to and how/why, I think that's the problem with a lot of people deeming words as offensive, imho things should only really be considered offensive if they are meant in an offensive manner, I cant think of a single word that would deeply upset/offend me by simply saying the word with no context

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
You can say "See you next Tuesday"
Don't say "You're a see you next Tuesday"

You can probably get away with saying "he/she is a see you see you next Tuesday", providing the person in question isn't within audible range.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Swearing topic so song

I would be offended if you said that person is a see you next tuesday when you and I were in conversation. I would expect you to swear like a normal person; don't pussy foot around things.

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the end, they are only words. If you can't be adult enough to understand that then close your ears to the world and crawl in a hole somewhere. People who are offended by words are pussies. Hate me if you want, I Don't Care.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Cunt is offensive yes but See you next Tuesday is just see you next Tuesday.
This, literally. And I'm American. I'm a huge offender, and saying the line "See you next Tuesday" means just that, no hidden meaning. And Cunt is just a casual word to me, it lost shock value about 15 years ago when I discovered it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @Psionic Roshambo sorry but im not that used to listening to non game music +1