CSO and ISO question

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Princess Rozalin, Feb 26, 2010.

Feb 26, 2010

CSO and ISO question by Princess Rozalin at 6:42 AM (2,643 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. Princess Rozalin
    OP

Member Princess Rozalin †GBAtemp Official Princess Of Roses†

United States
    Ok Quick Question im just Wondering.Does Compressing a ISO to CSO make it work less or lag or anything else cause most of my Games are ISO so i wanna know if it Affects it in any Way if you Compress it/

2. Ryufushichou

Member Ryufushichou I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!

Australia
    No the speed doesnt slow down from tests i ran, it may be a 1 or 2 seconds slower loading but nothing major, also remember that not all games will work Optomized (i know Fate/Unlimited Codes didnt.)

3. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    One of the biggest advantages in compressing an ISO into a CSO is that it brings the file size down (significantly in most cases), but you probably already knew that. [​IMG]

4. Anhmeister

Newcomer Anhmeister Member

United States
    In my experience, games always loaded slower as a CSO. Of course, the size difference between the two is occasionally very large, so that may outweigh that downside for you. Personally, I only use ISOs as CSOs don't always work for all games.

5. diddy81

Member diddy81 Wii Theme Team

United Kingdom
    CSO images can lag i found this mostly on fast games like NFS and GTA you could try using a lower compression than 9 but its better if you do get lag to use a iso

6. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    depends on what games you play. i know for sure that the dj max games are unplayable when in cso format. song are out of sync.

7. DarkWay

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    it completely depends on the game your playing, with games like GTA and some final fantasy games you may experience "some" (it's not much) lag during gameplay. most of my games on my PSP are CSO and very few of them are ISO.

CSO also have different compression levels so if you find your lagging abit too much in a game redo the ISO into a CSO with a lower compression level (I think it's 1-9 9 being the highest level of compression)

8. Sinistral89

Member Sinistral89 GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    When I play Dissidia and it is compressed to a CSO it takes forever to load...

9. sadak5

Member sadak5 GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    The same happened to me, but other games took less time in CSO format. I think it depends of the game.

10. steve-p

Member steve-p GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    i compress everything to level1
    but *not* outrun 2006 because it will glitch during play!

i also use UMDgen to delete the update folder, the boot.bin and any pad files.
    but you need to know what your doing & test the cso before you delete the iso!

11. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    It depends on the game, really, a lot of games won't have any lag at all, but some will lag all the time when CSO'd (like God of War, it's nearly unplayable [​IMG]) It's a bit of trial and error. Compress the games and see if you can live with the occasional lag.

12. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I never had lag on GoW, converted with PSP ISO Compresser v1.4.

Not had lag on anything really, all I had is longer load times which is a small price to pay.

13. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    It depends on your Memory Stick transfer speeds and your CFW. M33 has a speed up plug-in which works pretty well, GEN also has one though its not as good unfortunately.
    Fake or non-official Memory sticks without magicgate often suffer as well though their transfer speeds can be almost as good as proper Memory Sticks

14. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Maybe it's cause I used the ripped GoW, then...

15. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Most likely not. I experienced lag in GoW until I decompressed it when using GEN-D3 and a Dual MicroSD adapter. It was only while it loaded parts of the games mind (this is where you really notice the CSO compression, when it loads during actual gameplay)

16. Princess Rozalin
    OP

United States
    Well after Compressing a Couple of ISO using Compression Level 9 i notice about 2 or 3 Seconds Lag on some other games up to 5 Seconds or more but its nothing too Big.

17. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    I only use PSP ISO Compressor 1.4 set to compression level 1. There's normally only a few MB difference between level 1 and level 9 but it usually has a noticeable difference in load times.

I never rip the update folder anymore with UMDGen. Many of the newer games have issues when they're rebuilt.

It depends on how large/legit your memcard is and whether or not you really need the approx. 35MB that using compression level 9 and ripping the update folder would save you.

18. Princess Rozalin
    OP

United States
    wait so some Games might have Compability Issues with UMD GEN cause thats what i used to Rip the games i said Above.

EDIT: Just Tested Crisis Core so far after a Compression from 1.59 it went to 1.09 and no lag issues as i can see.

19. steve-p

Member steve-p GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    some games - i think ones by Taito can detect if the files move.

soo, if you change a game with umd-gen and it fails do this:

open the original iso,
    export the file-list,
    delete the junk,
    export - decrypt - import the EBOOT if you need to,
    then import the file-list again.
    it will ask about aligning files to the positions in the list - answer "yes"

then save your iso / cso.
    [​IMG]