Gaming CSO and ISO question

Ryufushichou

I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!
Trophies
XP
Country
No the speed doesnt slow down from tests i ran, it may be a 1 or 2 seconds slower loading but nothing major, also remember that not all games will work Optomized (i know Fate/Unlimited Codes didnt.)

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of the biggest advantages in compressing an ISO into a CSO is that it brings the file size down (significantly in most cases), but you probably already knew that.
wink.gif

Anhmeister

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my experience, games always loaded slower as a CSO. Of course, the size difference between the two is occasionally very large, so that may outweigh that downside for you. Personally, I only use ISOs as CSOs don't always work for all games.

diddy81

Wii Theme Team
Trophies
XP
Country
CSO images can lag i found this mostly on fast games like NFS and GTA you could try using a lower compression than 9 but its better if you do get lag to use a iso

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Princess Rozalin said:
Ok Quick Question im just Wondering.Does Compressing a ISO to CSO make it work less or lag or anything else cause most of my Games are ISO so i wanna know if it Affects it in any Way if you Compress it/

it completely depends on the game your playing, with games like GTA and some final fantasy games you may experience "some" (it's not much) lag during gameplay. most of my games on my PSP are CSO and very few of them are ISO.

CSO also have different compression levels so if you find your lagging abit too much in a game redo the ISO into a CSO with a lower compression level (I think it's 1-9 9 being the highest level of compression)

steve-p

Trophies
XP
Country
i compress everything to level1
but *not* outrun 2006 because it will glitch during play!

i also use UMDgen to delete the update folder, the boot.bin and any pad files.
but you need to know what your doing & test the cso before you delete the iso!

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It depends on the game, really, a lot of games won't have any lag at all, but some will lag all the time when CSO'd (like God of War, it's nearly unplayable
frown.gif
) It's a bit of trial and error. Compress the games and see if you can live with the occasional lag.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never had lag on GoW, converted with PSP ISO Compresser v1.4.

Not had lag on anything really, all I had is longer load times which is a small price to pay.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
It depends on your Memory Stick transfer speeds and your CFW. M33 has a speed up plug-in which works pretty well, GEN also has one though its not as good unfortunately.
Fake or non-official Memory sticks without magicgate often suffer as well though their transfer speeds can be almost as good as proper Memory Sticks

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Hoverlord Nadrian said:
Maybe it's cause I used the ripped GoW, then...

Most likely not. I experienced lag in GoW until I decompressed it when using GEN-D3 and a Dual MicroSD adapter. It was only while it loaded parts of the games mind (this is where you really notice the CSO compression, when it loads during actual gameplay)

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only use PSP ISO Compressor 1.4 set to compression level 1. There's normally only a few MB difference between level 1 and level 9 but it usually has a noticeable difference in load times.

I never rip the update folder anymore with UMDGen. Many of the newer games have issues when they're rebuilt.

It depends on how large/legit your memcard is and whether or not you really need the approx. 35MB that using compression level 9 and ripping the update folder would save you.

Princess Rozalin

†GBAtemp Official Princess Of Roses†
OP
Trophies
Website
z10.invisionfree.com
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
I only use PSP ISO Compressor 1.4 set to compression level 1. There's normally only a few MB difference between level 1 and level 9 but it usually has a noticeable difference in load times.

I never rip the update folder anymore with UMDGen. Many of the newer games have issues when they're rebuilt.

It depends on how large/legit your memcard is and whether or not you really need the approx. 35MB that using compression level 9 and ripping the update folder would save you.
wait so some Games might have Compability Issues with UMD GEN cause thats what i used to Rip the games i said Above.

EDIT: Just Tested Crisis Core so far after a Compression from 1.59 it went to 1.09 and no lag issues as i can see.

steve-p

Trophies
XP
Country
some games - i think ones by Taito can detect if the files move.

soo, if you change a game with umd-gen and it fails do this:

open the original iso,
export the file-list,
delete the junk,
export - decrypt - import the EBOOT if you need to,
then import the file-list again.
it will ask about aligning files to the positions in the list - answer "yes"

then save your iso / cso.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat