Crunchyroll on Wii U

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by narutopet112, Dec 25, 2014.

1. narutopet112
    OP

narutopet112 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 25, 2010
    Netherlands
    crunchyroll is now available on wii u eshop but US only no europe :gun:

Source: nintendo PR

2. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Sik m9, Time to make lots of accounts for 1 month trials!

3. shinkodachi

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Press release: http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=42381

Crunchyroll's official announcement thread: http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-880539

4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Well well well, good to see this :P

5. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    It's the perfect match, I've been waiting for this for a long time. :) I still have to wait for it as I'm not in the US, so you guys enjoy it before me. Let's hope more services come to the Wii U, maybe Nintendo will do something about TVii in Europe as well... Let's just wait...

6. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Been meaning to watch shows (subtitled) like Attack of the Titans, Kill la Kill and others so hopefully Crunchyroll has it.

I've got it on the 360 so I might as well check it before/whenever it's on Wii U anyway.

They should just get rid off it for Europe since TVii is never going to be used by the looks of it. Nintendo promised it'd be ready for Europe by the end of 2013 and nothing, it's 2014 and nothing and 2015 probably won't be any different.

7. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    They have Kill la Kill. I highly recommend you watch Eyeshield 21. Crunchyroll has the best quality and subtitles for that series, if you're into sports anime in the least bit, this is good. It's not over the top like Inazuma Eleven, it's actually strong on the storytelling. :)
    Yeah, I wonder if there's any plans for TVii in any capacity. One option may be to make the Wii U a DVR through an add-on like PlayTV in Europe for the PS3. A USB connected DVB-receiver with software to record to an external HDD right on the Wii U? Yeah, I'm buying! I hope that's what Nintendo's thinking, too.

8. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    If Nintendo added a Media Player to play audio (FLAC, MP3) and video (MKV, MP4, AVI) files I'd call it a day and not worry with anything else, hey, 3DS has an Audio Player so no reason to not add one to the Wii U.

9. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Hmm... I'd rather have a Plex app and stream everything from a computer / NAS. No reason at all to transfer your multimedia to the Wii U and play it there. With YouTube, Netflix, and now Crunchyroll apps, we're getting that much closer to that happening. PS3 and PS4 just got Plex and Xbox 360/One as well. I've approached the Plex team on the matter, but I haven't received a response yet.

10. WatchGintama

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States

Wiiaboos.
    Weeb would like to play.

11. PascalLeroi

PascalLeroi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2012
    Netherlands
    You know you can use plex on the wii u internet browser? I've been using it since launch, it works really well :)

12. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Yeah try playing songs from your library. That's just one problem you'll face with Plex/Web.

13. TheGrayShow1467

TheGrayShow1467 屈折

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    Well I know what I will do when I get a Wii U!!!
    For those who have a Wii U and Crunchyroll, I recommend these shows (I hope FUNimation is ported to the Wii U (I will include shows on FUNimation and use {F} to mark them as not on Crunchyroll)):
    Attack on Titan
    Black Butler {F}
    Corpse Party: Tortured Souls (Look around the internet (If you have not played Corpse Party, DO NOT WATCH THIS SHOW!!! IT CONTAINS SPOILERS!!! You have been warned...))
    Kill la Kill
    Fairy Tail
    Space Dandy {F}
    I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying
    Panty And Stocking with Garterbelt {F}
    Baccano! {F}
    Cowboy Bebop {F}
    Eureka Seven {F}
    Tokyo Ghoul {F}

These should get you started on your Wii U and whatever you watch FUNimation on... (Keep in mind, these are good shows in MY OPINION! If you don't like one, DON'T WATCH IT! I don't want some fanboy/fangirl to say that I am a dumbass for not including __________ or for including ____________... If your favorite show isn't on my list, then tell me what the name of the show is; Chances are I haven't watched it.)
    Cheers!​

14. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Seriously the only one anime series anyone should check out is Eyeshield 21. It has American football, true friendships, strong team spirit, and original jokes. However, it can be very exhausting (there are over 100 episodes, so if that scares you then don't watch it).

Every other anime IMO is second rate. Eyeshield 21 is the best anime I've seen in a long, long, very long time. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. ;)

15. PascalLeroi

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2012
    Netherlands
    That may be the only thing that doesn't work, but for me playing video's is the main function, so I could live without the music function (and I can always stream to my mobile, wich has plex app)

16. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Plex/Web is very slow (compared to what an actual app could achieve), segmented shows don't cache the next segment, lack of Direct Play support for even basic High Profile MPEG-4 AVC content, no Plex Pass features (e.g. Plex Sync, Cloud Sync), no Plex Home support.

If you just want to stream video from a PC/Mac to your Wii U, Plex/Web is adequate, but it's not very good. I should know because I was helping the Plex team originally to get Plex/Web supported on Wii U.

17. PascalLeroi

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2012
    Netherlands
    You're right, it works fine, but it could be better. That being said, I only stream video from my PC, so I'm good with the functionality.
    You have my thanks for helping them getting it supported on Wii U because I use it very often :)

18. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    It's available for UK Wii U owners now, too.

19. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    You have no excuse now NOT to watch Eyeshield 21. :)

20. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng A Racist

Aug 15, 2012
    Nigeria
    Under your fucking chair.
    "Premium"
    Haha. :)