Cross-region local play

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Oui, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Oui
    OP

Oui Member

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2017
    Swaziland
    Geneva
    Hey, everytime i try to play locally with a friend, it doesn't work. I always get an error message when i choose the local play option on the menu
    I have a Japanese o3DS 11.3 on a CFW
    My friend has an European n3DS on a CFW
    I downloaded the european version of the game and he also did
    How can I solve this problem?

2. Mr.Faq2015

Mr.Faq2015 /ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/

Oct 24, 2015
    Argentina
    Rhizome 9
    Both have to download either the european or the japanese version. The games have to be from the same region. It should work. If that doesn't work, double-check the games and try hosting alternatively with both consoles. Which game are you trying to play?

Last edited by Mr.Faq2015, Mar 3, 2017
  3. Oui
    OP

Oui Member

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2017
    Swaziland
    Geneva
    We both have the european version
    We tried to play Mario Tennis Open and Mario Party Island Tour

Last edited by Oui, Mar 3, 2017
  4. Mr.Faq2015

Mr.Faq2015 /ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/

Oct 24, 2015
    Argentina
    Rhizome 9
    Those games only work with Download Play for local multiplayer if I recall correctly. Try hosting the game with the japanese console and join through download play with the european one (won't work backwards as the japanese console won't be able to recognize the data from european games)

Last edited by Mr.Faq2015, Mar 3, 2017
  5. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    Games that use DownloadPlay by default (Mario Kart7, Mario Party Island Tour) will NOT work no matter what when out of region consoles try to use it.

If you install a EUR MP:IT .cia on your JPN 3DS it will tell you to activate the wireless switch communications to be able to play (even if it's already enabled, there is no way to circumvent this atm)

The same would happen if your friend installs a JPN MP:IT on his EUR 3DS.

And if you install a JPN MP:IT on your JPN 3DS you'll be able to broadcast the game like you'd normally do. But the EUR 3DS WILL NOT be able to recognize it, see it, or connect to it. And vice versa.
    For other local play games (THAT DO NOT USE DLPlay-client) they'll work just fine, even if online.

The only way around this would be to Region Change one of the console's or creating a Region Changed EmuNAND only for this purpose alone. Do you consider it worth it?
    The regions HAVE TO MATCH for DLP-client to work on both consoles, even if they have CFW.

Last edited by Alex658, Mar 3, 2017
  6. Oui
    OP

Oui Member

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2017
    Swaziland
    Geneva
    Thanks to you two :)

7. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    Mario Party Star Rush will work, As it's not a download play only game. Why don't you try that one out?
    Both consoles NEED to have the same version of the game installed (with CFW this shouldn't be an issue since most apply region free patches). So If both of you grab the EUR version you shouldn't have any issues.

8. Oui
    OP

Oui Member

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2017
    Swaziland
    Geneva
    I know, but, the problem is that i immediatly get an error when i select the local play option

9. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    On which game? This will ALWAYS happen for games that use download play as their multiplayer.
    There is NO WAY AROUND IT unless you're willing to change your 3ds's region permanently or create a region changed emunand.

10. Oui
    OP

Oui Member

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2017
    Swaziland
    Geneva
    Well nvm, i finally understood
    But thank you mate, i appreciate the help ;)

11. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    This is why i suggested you played Mario Party Star Rush. That came out in november 2016, and i can confirm two USA consoles work with EUR cia in multiplayer as long as you don't select the download play option.

12. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Cross region play seems to be working on Corbenik. I actually tested it recently because reasons.

13. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    Cross region play works on luma as well. What doesn't work is Cross Region DownloadPlay titles.
    Try to multiplayer mk7 or mario party island tour (games that can only be played vis DLplay-client) if the games are EUR and you have an USA console when trying to multiplay with them you'd get a "wireless switch off" error. If you multiplay with EUR game on EUR console the recieving console won't be able to pick up the game if it's USA/JPN on download play applet.
    It would be amusing if it did work.

Last edited by Alex658, Mar 4, 2017