cross region 3ds multiplayer?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by cearp, Aug 30, 2012.

1. cearp
    OP

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    hey, does anyone know if the 3ds lets you play multiplayer games across different region of the game/console?
    for example, pokemon for ds does not care if you trade with usa-jp, pal-jp, etc, it all works. i have not tried any other games, but still, it is a nice thought that you can play with other people who have the same game yet just in a different language.

does anyone know or can test if games like, mario kart, new super mario brothers, animal crossing, are/will be able to be played together if one game is ntsc-j and one is not?

i have a japanese 3ds, and i am perfectly happy with it, i just want to know if i am able to play with people who do not have a japanese 3ds (and i am not able to test)!

i hope you understand my question, thanks!

2. VinvinMario

VinvinMario Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2012
    United States
    Yes, possible

3. klim28

klim28 Hunter4Life

Jul 24, 2010
    LocLac village...
    I can confirm Super Street Fighter IV 3D can go cross region local multiplayer as I have them. In Mario Kart 7, you can't do cross region local multiplayer according to some reports. I have yet to find a person with a US version of NSMB2 to try the local multiplayer. Thats all I know.

4. chris888222

chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Oct 11, 2010
    Senegal
    For online,
    SSF3D, DOA and Mario Kart can play internationally,
    Mario Tennis is IP locked.

5. klim28

klim28 Hunter4Life

Jul 24, 2010
    LocLac village...
    Add Kid Icarus Uprising. There are so many Japanese players online @_@

6. cearp
    OP

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    ah, i should have specified i meant local multiplayer, but sure thanks guys for the help!
    i guess it is game specific, it would be nice if there was a 'compatibility list' although i doubt so many people would want it.
    i said with ds pokemon, you can trade between any regions, but then i remembered korean versions of pokemon can only trade amongst themselves (not sure about online stuff though, just local)

but sure, thanks :)