Creating .sav files

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by nagareboshi, Sep 9, 2009.

Sep 9, 2009

Creating .sav files by nagareboshi at 4:29 PM (845 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. nagareboshi
    OP

Member nagareboshi GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Hi there,

sometimes my M3i 0 (M3 Real also did this) will try to start an unplayed DS game and show me some sort of creating save file error.
    This is no problem as a reformat of my SD card solves this problem, although I wonder why the error occurs.

So my question is: Is there an app to create .sav files of the game beforehand so that a .sav file already exists and causes no more problems?
    I heard that no$gba is able to do this but is there a Mac friendly solution?

Thanks!

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    You might be able to dodge reformatting but using a disc scan/error correction (had some similar problems with other carts throughout).

Reason: writing to a file is nothing special but making a new one is rather more difficult (this scales up to "real" hard drives too; see some of the troubles the NTFS-3g people have had over the years) especially when you do it properly; there are some workarounds/shortcuts that some people use that can also be a source of problems and flash cart developers are known to like their shortcuts.

Re no$gba and other emulators: traditionally this method is used for games that need to initialise their save before it works (GBA slot carts made quite a bit of use of it over the years).
    Frankly any emulator that you can get to run a game to the point of making a save coupled with http://shunyweb.info/ to get it in the right format will do.

However as mentioned it is most likely not the game but the cart that is the problem- simply make a blank file the same size* as the save (I am guessing standard 512 kbytes) or copy a save from another game and rename to whatever you need it to be (no M3i here so I am not sure how it all works for you).

*depending on the person being spoken to it is either the making of the file itself, failure to allocate sectors in the correct manner or "I have no idea, I'm just a kid!" so you might as well make it the right size.

3. nagareboshi
    OP

Member nagareboshi GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Thanks for your answer [​IMG]