Thank you

—————————————————————

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
The one thing I tell people who want to make their first game is to temper their expectations. You're not gonna be creating anything on the level of AAA or good indie games as your first game. There's a saying that goes, "Your first 10 games are gonna suck, so get them out of the way quick." That said, it's never been easier to hop into an engine and build your own game. Everyone starts at the ground floor, but if you're serious about it, you could make some cool stuff. It's time-consuming, but all the tools are there at your disposal.

Good luck!

D

Deleted User

Video game development entails much more than just programming the game; you have to create the artwork/models, compose the music, design and balance the game, and so on and so forth. Doing all of that well can be very difficult and time-consuming. This may seem obvious now, but I just wanted to make this clear, in case you had large ambitions for your game. It's better to smart small, then gradually crawl your way upwards to creating bigger and better games.

If you're just starting out in UE4, I'd recommend looking at these video tutorials first before even considering making a game of your own. It's best to know how to use the engine in the first place, so that when the time comes to actually make your game, you have full command of the engine and won't waste time figuring random shit out.

Also, if you're aiming to a 2D game, I'd recommend something like Unity or GameMaker Studio over UE4. Not that UE4 is bad for it, but, IIRC, it's not really designed for 2D Game Development.

Another way to get your feet wet is to create mods for existing games out there; that way, you can gain experience with asset creation and level design before moving on to creating an entire game from scratch.

Perhaps the most important thing, though, is to not be intimidated. The worst thing you can do is keep second-guessing yourself, resulting you in going nowhere development-wise. Like what Halo said, your first 10 games are going to suck, but just accept that fact and push forward in developing them and getting them out there; you'll learn a lot in the process.

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Ah, you touch on a good point, Bepis. Start with 2D. 3D game development is much more complicated than 2D, especially when 3D modeling and whatnot is involved. If you want to work in 3D right away, I'd also recommend trying to mod existing games first so you only have to focus on smaller parts of the bigger picture, like level design, with the rest of the game already existing. Starting from scratch, though, you should definitely mess around in 2D first. Unreal is not at all meant for 2D game development, and I'd instead recommend Unity or GameMaker Studio. These engines are much more beginner-friendly and have the proper tools for 2D development.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Some very good points are already given (more to the point: I agree with all that's been said).

I just want to add that "but I have absolutely no idea" is actually a good thing if you're starting out. If the tutorials are good, they'll explain things in a way that should inspire you (or even progressively add stuff so your first game is complete with a scoring mechanism, basic game menu options and things like that). Go with that, and slowly start experimenting once you've got the hang of things.

Oh, and: good luck to you. And have fun in the process. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.