Counterfeiting ad: "Premonition"

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Some people don't have the patience to download 4 or 12 gigs (DVD or BluRay) and then burn them, or just don't have the resources to do so (ISP blocks download sites, burner is broken etc. etc.) and a burned disc bought "down the alley from the shady guy" is simply "The" answer since it costs a few bucks more than a blank and you get what you want.

If we're talking PROPER pirated movies straight from the East, theb most of you wouldn't even *see* the difference between the original and the bootleg copy, and this ad is about those. Well-crafted discs with proper lables in proper boxes that look remarkably "legit" but aren't, created on an assembly line somewhere far away for god knows by whom, for how much and in what conditions.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Do they actually have evidence that the sales of counterfeit goods go towards gang violence, drugs and child labour?

The more immediate and likely result is that somebody who can copy blank DVDs and print labels on jewel-cases is doing it for an easy and illegal profit. Of course crime begets crime but it's a pretty insignificant crime with some outrageous claims.

That and the video also had some pretty damn poor direction, not even that good of a concept, and crappy editing.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Do they actually have evidence that the sales of counterfeit goods go towards gang violence, drugs and child labour?

The more immediate and likely result is that somebody who can copy blank DVDs and print labels on jewel-cases is doing it for an easy and illegal profit. Of course crime begets crime but it's a pretty insignificant crime with some outrageous claims.

That and the video also had some pretty damn poor direction, not even that good of a concept, and crappy editing.

Bah, of course they are right! Saying that by driving a car you support melting of icebergs and drowning polar bears is also correct, isn't it? I mean, you're causing Global Warming - you're the 0,000000000000000001% part of the problem, mister!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if u want to find the true villains of this little story, u should look at the executive officers of these "fine" companies. they'd, after all, sell their own families into slavery if it profited them.

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it says if i buy pirate movies i support child labor and drugs i know

Buying pirated movies is a shit thing to do, as is profiting off of pirated movies. The ad is ridiculous in the sense that it says I'm supporting drugs, gang violence, and child labor (if I bought pirated movies, I'm not that stupid), but you still shouldn't be buying pirated movies. It's already pretty shit to pirate the movie in the first place, but to give the big "screw you" to everyone involved in a film and give your money to a shady looking fellow who will use that money for god-knows-what is just a dick move.
Yes because "shady looking" people always use there money for sketchy things. It's not like maybe they have a family to support and are completely unable to get a legit job especially since the main places people sell counterfeit DVDs are big cities where jobs can be hard to come by

Reactions: 4 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
if u want to find the true villains of this little story, u should look at the executive officers of these "fine" companies. they'd, after all, sell their own families into slavery if it profited them.

Since when "Would" is a crime category? I was convinced that it's the "Did" that's illegal. It's horrible that you can't blame people for what they might do, just for what they actually did.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Since when "Would" is a crime category? I was convinced that it's the "Did" that's illegal. It's horrible that you can't blame people for what they might do, just for what they actually did.

would has always been a crime category. in fact, the entire ad is based on this concept. and, I can blame them for what they might do, because a history of questionable business tactics makes the end result likely.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Considering the "evidence" for piracy and counterfeit stuff is almost always found to be ziltch or flat-out lies, I really doubt it.

Propaganda and sensationalism as usual.

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@hyro-sama(not my lord)
come at italy or go to tunisia and you'll see
peopke buy pirated movies/games
softmod consoles for lots of money (like 60 euros sometimes)
wtf

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it just me, or did that woman just access the Dead Zone?

I would go on about how hilariously incompetent this PSA is, but that's kind of obvious. Instead, I'll post this.

[yt]z-q29hbEP04[/yt]

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why counterfeiting is worse than piracy:
Counterfeiting=purchasing bootleg copy=intention to buy, but money doesn't go to devs
Pirating=getting copy for free=no intention to buy, meaning devs wouldn't get money anyways

And yeah, this ad takes it too far. How does child labor relate to counterfeiting in any way (other than being immoral)?

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
There's a problem here, and it's right at the beginning.

Fake DVDs are not usually made by drug hustlers.

Not that the entire thing isn't bullshit, but it starts on a false premise.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if you buy a movie or pay to see a movie legitimately then you are definitely funding drugs, and gangs and all kinds of perversions... how else would douchebag actors and directors and anyone in the business pay for their hookers and cocaine?

just picture how many drug dealers you've funded by watching a lindsey lohan or charlie sheen movie.

this post was both a joke and dead serious. the movie industry is full of hypocrites.

Reactions: 1 person

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
wait wait I think I can figure this out.
The drug dealers sell illegal dvd's on the side thus giving them a "few dollars"
then the people who made the movie layoff some of there workers because they can't pay them
these people then go into gangs as they need to make money and/or there is a gang war over who can sell there illegal dvd's where
While this is going on the company that made the movie reduces costs of there dvd manufacturing by using child labor [which in the ad had them sewing clothes......]

the ad in the whole is about not buying counterfeit goods [I doubt that counterfeit goods in the age of internet downloading is really that much of an issue] which is bad but who really cares it's only a "few dollars"

Ultymoo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can think of far worse crimes, like littering or ripping the tags off your pillows. Seriously, I wouldn't want a fake pillow.

Worse yet, if she sees things like that, what other visions does she have during her daily life? "BAGEL & LATTE - Only a few dollars."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass