Could not detect a microSD Card (Error)

Tally_Andromeda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently put in a formated to FAT32 128gb and I don't have a windows or linux op usable currently I am on a Chromebook. Could someone help figure out what is wrong? My card reader is just fine

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sometimes the problem is that there's an extra, additional partition on the card that needs to be removed. I have no idea how you would do that on a Chromebook. How did you even format it to FAT32 on a Chromebook..?

Anyway, the most reliable way to format a card is with Godmode9, if you didn't do that.

Reactions: CoolMe

Tally_Andromeda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes the problem is that there's an extra, additional partition on the card that needs to be removed. I have no idea how you would do that on a Chromebook. How did you even format it to FAT32 on a Chromebook..?

Anyway, the most reliable way to format a card is with Godmode9, if you didn't do that.
Chromebooks have a card formatter inside them

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm sure they have a card slot, but considering Windows won't format an SD card larger than 32 GB to FAT32 without third-party utilities, I am surprised that this is standard Chromebook functionality.
"Format SD Chromebook" as a search term directly leads to this colorful (and questionable) thing:
https://www.omgchrome.com/format-sd-card-usb-chromebook/

Can't say this surprises me. My guess would be that anything (other than Windows) will happily format everything up to 2TB with FAT32. Above 2TB we hit real and not artificial problems.
The 32GB limitation in Windows is arbitrary nonsense and even much older than exFAT. Before exFAT has been introduced, XP offered formatting partitions >32GB as NTFS only, which is not a good idea for SDs. Not sure about Windows 2000.
Windows 9x and ME, only officially supporting FAT12/16/32 will – of course – format bigger partitions with FAT32.

However, looking at that colorful page above, I don't see any options or technical details. Never had a Chromebook. If there is access to a terminal and dosfstools (mkfs.vfat in this case) can be installed and used, the user can adjust anything, way more than one should manually.
manpage
=========

@Tally_Andromeda
  • In any case it would be a good idea to just get access to a Windows PC and use guiformat followed by h2testw
  • Verify the µSD doesn't have GPT instead of MBR partition table
  • Try another µSD as well
Good luck and have fun!

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I'm sure they have a card slot, but considering Windows won't format an SD card larger than 32 GB to FAT32 without third-party utilities, I am surprised that this is standard Chromebook functionality.
You can use Diskmgmt (win board tool) to format any SD with FAT32 and any cluster size you like. There are no 3rd party tools needed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.tmz.com/2024/06/08/george-lopez-accuse-walk-out-leave-show-early-heckler-shade-eagle-...