Could BootMii do something like this in a future update?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by dartdude6, Oct 14, 2009.

1. dartdude6
    OP

Member dartdude6 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just updated USB Loader GX to v1.00 (Was using WiiFlow, but now I'm back to GX thanks to Metroid Prime Trilogy) and I noticed it had a built in Homebrew Launcher which was very similar to how the Homebrew Channel works. It's a pretty big request, but I was wondering if the BootMii Team would consider creating 2 versions of BootMii, one that has the same features it does now (for people who don't use/need USB Loader GX), and another release that has all of the current features but instead of having the Homebrew Channel it would have USB Loader GX. Again, I know there are no plans to do this but as a USB Loader GX user, I almost have no use for the Homebrew Channel and would love to boot directly into USB Loader GX right from boot2 instead of the Homebrew Channel.

2. bdr9

Member bdr9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I highly doubt they would ever do that. Team Twiizers is not a very big fan of USB Loaders and things like that.

3. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    u can already boot directly to usbloader gx using preloader 0.29 and booting to gxforwarder.dol, google it

4. dartdude6
    OP

United States
    I refuse to use Preloader until it has boot2 + NAND Backup/Restore support. Until then, I use BootMii.

5. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    did you notice that you can launch backup disks from the new version

so it's a usb and backup launcher rolled into one

6. dartdude6
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I saw that. It has GC backup launcher support too (through disc, not through USB).

7. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    Could, but won't. TT hates piracy and anything possibly related to it. And beyond that, they certainly aren't going to include something they didn't write with their installer.

I suppose they could make bootmii able to autoboot a specific app... but who knows if that will happen or not. I would lean towards not.

8. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    u know u can have both preloader and bootmii right? If it was a choice between the two, I would choose bootmii also, but why choose when u can have both

9. dartdude6
    OP

United States
    Why would I want to go through both? I don't need Preloader since it does what BootMii does and I use StartPatch for Wii menu hacks. I don't want to use it just to load a dol.

10. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    I mean, they could make it so that you could launch something you normally would launch from the hbc without launching the hbc menu first. They most probably won't though.

11. addy2k

Newcomer addy2k Newbie

Germany
    Well I think TT is very clear with their attitude towards piracy. So why should they include or even support any app thats sole purpose is piracy?

12. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Wrong, they couldnt. Apps are coded for PPC/IOS, not MINI. Therefore BootMii cannot boot them. IOS must be running for them to be able to be booted. I guess they could start and IOS and then run the app, but I dunno if thats even possible. The only apps BootMii will ever boot are MINI apps, bot regular IOS apps.

13. MattJ

Newcomer MattJ Member

United Kingdom
    While maybe a lot of people use it for that, that is not the sole purpose. At least not for me. I use it to make starting up games easier for me and other family members. Sure, we could just put the disc in the drive and play, but it is much easier to just click on an icon and have it start for you.

But I will admit, the main purpose of it for the majority of people is for playing games obtained illegally, but there are other reasons to use it.

14. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    How about this:

Install the newest HBC (1.05 or 1.06, since it has title ID J0DI), and an old (1.0.4 or older) bootmii. Install a USB Loader channel with ID HAXX...set bootmii to autoboot HBC. In theory, it'd load the usb loader.

And as above: TT+Piracy does not go well, even though i'd say that 80% or more of people using brew use it to pirate. If not disc games, it's likely VC/Wiiware...

15. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Because you clearly want USB Loader GX to autoboot and Preloader will do it. You don't have to use StartPatch at all if you get preloader since preloader does everything startpatch can do plus more.

Just set bootmii to autoboot the system menu and preloader to autoboot USB Loader GX. You won't have to "go through" anything and it doesn't really add anything to your startup time at all.

If you're that against using preloader, then don't complain about something else not having it's features. TT likely won't add direct support for something related to piracy especially when there's already something else that can do it that has absolutely no conflicts with it.

And if you already have bootmii installed to boot2, you don't have to even worry about preloader potentially screwing anything up. Just make a fresh NAND backup before you install it.

16. jazvdb

Member jazvdb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    In theory this should work right? Really smart idea....

Anyone care to try this?

17. dartdude6
    OP

United States
    I'm interested in this too, but if I don't need to see BootMii unless I need to do a NAND restore, then I should be fine with preloader.

18. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    You can set bootmii to autoboot the system menu and set the bootdelay to like 1 or 2 so bootmii will be on the screen for that many seconds before autobooting the system menu unless you press a face button on the Wii or left or right on the d-pad of a GC controller. Use the Bootmii Configuration editor app to do it (or just edit the bootmii.ini file yourself)

By having it autoboot the system menu, it will in turn autoboot preloader, which you can set to autoboot USB Loader GX by installing that as a file in it and then telling preloader to autoboot the file.

Then if you ever need to access the preloader settings, you would press and hold reset when the bootmii menu comes up which will instantly select loading the system menu and holding reset while it does that will bring up preloader.

Edit: Or if you don't want to see the bootmii menu at all, you can just rename the bootmii folder and it will just load the system menu normally anyways or do as above but set bootdelay to 0. Then to access it again just rename it back on your sd card or edit the bootmii.ini to increase the bootdelay.

19. dartdude6
    OP

United States
    Ok, I have Preloader installed now and almost everything is great, but I set preloader to autoboot to USB Loader GX and now I can't get back to my system menu. Whenever I try to load the system menu, it just takes me back to USB Loader GX. Is there a preloader settings app I could get that would let me boot into the Wii System Menu? (Something like the BootMii Configuration Editor)

20. vettacossx

Member vettacossx Wii Theme Team Founder

Ireland
    OMG OMG please do right to the folks on Hackmii blog and ask them it would be alot of fun for us all! hahahahaha

that seems like a logical question but if you knew how these people are...oh man...lol