Corrupted GameCube save file, how to recover?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Leo Alves, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Leo Alves
    OP

Leo Alves GBAtemp Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    I was playing Need for Speed Most Wanted for GameCube yesterday, on Dios Mios, so i saved and restarted my wii, today when i started the game the message appeared on the screen: ''Your savefile is corrupted'', i don't know how this happened, as i haven't reseted my wii while is saving, i always reset on the start screen and make sure that the memory card is not being read

Anyway, what i want to know is if there's any tool that can recover a gamecube save? i found a program called ''GCN MemCard Recover '' but this cannot recover individual save files

2. _acid_

_acid_ GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    i dont think there's anything out there to save your card. you're out of luck buddy.

Leo Alves likes this.
  3. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    What loader are you using to boot DioMios?
    Check what settings are used for saving your gamecube saves.

Leo Alves likes this.
  4. Leo Alves
    OP

Leo Alves GBAtemp Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    i am using Configurable USB Loader 70 mod65

i have NMM disabled

Now my save only shows a lot of yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, and the banner don't show up on GCMM neither MC Recover :/

[​IMG]

I'm screwed...
    I will start all over again, i was with about 40% of the game completed...
    hope this don't happen again

but i'm still concerned why this get corrupted

5. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    Couldal be all sorts of reasons I think.
    http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/21655
    Did you try nugasa to backup your gc saves?

6. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Hi, I'm the author of GCN MemCard Recover.

It looks like the directory entry for the file got corrupted. (The 'ΓΏ' character there is 0xFF in cp1252.) However, it might still be possible to recover the actual data.

If you can send me the raw memory card dump, I can take a look at the file and see if anything is recoverable. (I'll also need a "known good" GCI from that game.)

EDIT: I just remembered that the descriptions shown in the "Description" column are actually stored in the data area, not the directory table. Even then, depending on how the game saves files, there still might be a backup copy. Metroid Prime (USA), for example, creates a new file, then deletes the old one. If you do a scan on a card that was used for Metroid Prime, you'll find a ton of "lost" save files. I don't know of any other games offhand that do this, but NFS:MW might be one of them.