Hacking Official Corbenik - Another CFW for advanced users (with bytecode patches!)

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I've been over this before, but for posterity:

I'll implement/merge LayeredFS or some form of overlays, but RomFs is a no-go. I will not compromise on this.

Most games it would find use with are over 1GB, and the data which is modified is a small fraction of this, usually. The result is huge, ugly, awful, unneeded duplication of data.

As I don't have nearly as much time for Corbenik anymore, I've largely kept changes to bug fixes when problems arise. To be blunt, I'm unlikely to implement layeredFS on my own at this point. It's too much work for too little gain this late in the 3DS' lifespan in my opinion.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've been over this before, but for posterity:

I'll implement/merge LayeredFS or some form of overlays, but RomFs is a no-go. I will not compromise on this.

Most games it would find use with are over 1GB, and the data which is modified is a small fraction of this, usually. The result is huge, ugly, awful, unneeded duplication of data.

As I don't have nearly as much time for Corbenik anymore, I've largely kept changes to bug fixes when problems arise. To be blunt, I'm unlikely to implement layeredFS on my own at this point. It's too much work for too little gain this late in the 3DS' lifespan in my opinion.
Fair enough ^_^ It's an interesting feature and was fun for me to play around with. But I can also see why I wouldn't care to keep using it myself

Reactions: OrGoN3

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question for @chaoskagami, is it alright to use Fake Friends Version on 11.3? I noticed in the description that it says not to use it on 11.0.0, and I'm wondering if this is just an outdated description or if there are compatibility issues with anything above 11.0.0... Thank you in advance :)

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm not sure if anyone has experimented with this, but I'm gonna try and run Corbenik CFW while under Luma3DS's A9LH.
Of course it works. Luma3DS just launches the payload. It works fine.

If you mean CTRNAND, it doesn't work there.

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question for @chaoskagami, is it alright to use Fake Friends Version on 11.3? I noticed in the description that it says not to use it on 11.0.0, and I'm wondering if this is just an outdated description or if there are compatibility issues with anything above 11.0.0... Thank you in advance :)
I'm just trying to bump this so it gets answered XD

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm not sure if anyone has experimented with this, but I'm gonna try and run Corbenik CFW while under Luma3DS's A9LH.
CFWs should not an affect each other. Thus running corbenik as a payload from Luma3DS will work just fine. You can also run corbenik as a payload from Luma3DS if Luma3DS is running from the CTRNAND.
If you are talking about putting corbenik into the CTRNAND, that just isn't possible with the nature of corbenik and would also come with it's own risks.

Last edited by The Catboy,

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CFWs do not effect each other. Thus running corbenik as a payload from Luma3DS will work just fine. You can also run corbenik as a payload from Luma3DS if Luma3DS is running from the CTRNAND.
If you are talking about putting corbenik into the CTRNAND, that just isn't possible with the nature of corbenik and would also come with it's own risks.

CFWs may affect one another but "CFWs" do not :P

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There is no CFW for 3DS. They are "CFW"s. They aren't real CFWs, they are just patchers. I thought you were in the other threads where we talked about this. Nevermind. I'll just be over here with the other crazies.
I mean, you aren't wrong, but at the same time you aren't correct. I know they aren't technically CFWs, a CFW would be something along the lines of Rockbox. But the term ended up getting carried over from the PSP scene and it's far too late to correct this.

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This is an incorrect statement - CFWs *shouldn't* affect each other. There's one that does. I'll leave it as an excercise to the reader to figure out which one and how.
There is one case I can think of which starts on this page in the ReiNAND thread. Which it appears that the reboot patches where just looping back the poster's Luma3DS build. This was more of a conflict in commands when just the right files were placed in just the right places.
Otherwise technically running multiple CFWs shouldn't have any affect on each other.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is an incorrect statement - CFWs *shouldn't* affect each other. There's one that does. I'll leave it as an excercise to the reader to figure out which one and how.

He's just memeing with the whole "CFW" vs "patched FW" thing. I thought that died ages ago...

Considering it was just brought up in another thread a few days ago, you thought wrong.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nope, there's still one case, and it has bitten me (well, a tester tbh) several times in the past.
I am actually interested in hearing about this, but it's getting off topic. If you want, shoot me a PM

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose it forcefully fixes the fpdver to an older version (post 9.x and pre 11.0). Enabling it in 11.0+ would fake your version as an older one and not allow you to play online.
That's kind of what I was thinking, thank you for answering. It seems like CTR-HTTPWN works fine, so I'll just keep using that XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night